getting my fish room next week!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Have you asked your landlord if they will allow you to have much water in yr apt? They will also must likey force you to have a min of 250,000 in insurance in case of failure and water damage.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
You can't be "same with ssuchem13" when what he says is entirely different to what you described the conversation between your landlord as being. It seems as though you are just dismissing what the people here are saying. Listen to nerdyrcdriver, he raises some very good points which you need to sit down and think about before you even consider clearing out that room.

Yay, I am useful and actually have good points!

underlined part: I hate to say it, but that is what he is doing as he usually does.

But I have to disagree on that bold part. It wouldnt hurt to have the room clean even if he doesnt put tanks in there. Just saying.

You will have to get lots of insurance. You have to think about the other 17 apartments as well. If something happens in your apartment it could have negative effects to everyone else in the complex.

My grandfather, grandmother, aunt, and cousins all lived in an apartment together. They rented 2/3rds of it. Everything was on one breaker except for the kitchen on the 2nd floor. So if you plugged a hair dryer in when other stuff was running everything would turn off except for the kitchen. Even though my grandpa is a retired electrician, he couldnt do anything about the bad wiring because of the land lord. If something broke, they were supposed to repair it, not the land lord. It was an older building, but they didnt treat it terribly.

You will be held responsible for any damage done by the tanks. So you need to have really good renters insurance. Apartments are built fast, and they arent built as solid as a house. They are normally built on a budget as well. If you have access to it, check your breaker box to see how many are for your specific apartment and what they are rated for.

Last edited:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Have you asked your landlord if they will allow you to have much water in yr apt? They will also must likey force you to have a min of 250,000 in insurance in case of failure and water damage.

Or the risk of an electrical fire.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
livebearerfreak is going to do this no matter what anyone says. He's going to put as many tanks as can possible fit in that room.

I have followed just about every thread livebearerfreak has started since I've joined this forum. Every far out thing he does, he asks for suggestions. And every single suggestion ever given to him about any subject, he dismisses. 100% of the time. No matter what he has ever set out to do, he's already made up his mind and nothing is going to change it.

I'm the new one here and don't understand why the ones that has seen evidence of this too keep telling him of the potential dangers of his actions KNOWING he's going to ignore them.

I'm glad your excited about your new fishroom livebearerfreak. I hope it all turns out well for you.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I am just vwaiting for massive water damage not only to his place but to other apts. LBF, u do realize that if u have tank failure and cause damage to other apts that they will sue you for said damages and they will win. You would be smart to get at least 250,000 in renters insurance that will cover water damage and fire not only to your place but the entire complex. I have a real hard time believing your landlord gave you the green light to have that much water in your place when apts sometimes don't even allow waterbeds.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
LBF has a rough life and not a lot of bright spots, it sounds like. Fish are one of the bright spots. He has a lot of enthusiasm and maybe not a lot of practical common sense. He can be stubborn at times. I understand how it can be annoying, but in my opinion what's even more annoying is that his threads always turn into the sort of mess that it is right now, because everyone gangs up on him and argues with him. I understand that you guys are trying to look out for him, but there is also an element of "I'm right - you're wrong" that...when you step back...you realize it is just unnecessary.

Eventually, you see that there is no getting through to him. He may or may not believe what you all are saying, but the point is - he can't fix the floor (really, would a lay person with no carpentry skills be comfortable doing this? would an average person be able to find a structural engineer who can give him some pointers on shoring up the floor?) and he can't set the tanks up in the basement. He wants to have a fish room, and listening to you all would mean that he can't.

I'm glad your excited about your new fishroom livebearerfreak. I hope it all turns out well for you.
This is all he really wants, just some encouragement and for people to share his excitement.

If his floor breaks, or the landlord sees it and freaks out, or whatever other thing, then you can all say you told him so...

In the meantime, whatever! Let it be known that you warned him of the consequences, and just let him have this.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
I have followed just about every thread livebearerfreak has started since I've joined this forum. Every far out thing he does, he asks for suggestions. And every single suggestion ever given to him about any subject, he dismisses. 100% of the time. No matter what he has ever set out to do, he's already made up his mind and nothing is going to change it.

I'm the new one here and don't understand why the ones that has seen evidence of this too keep telling him of the potential dangers of his actions KNOWING he's going to ignore them.
You're spot on. This is why I've had livebearerfreak on my ignore list for quite some time. The dismissive attitude, and disregard for intelligible discourse really annoys me. But you know how you have to stop and watch a train wreck? That's this thread.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I agree with the above. Every thread started by him becomes something like this. But his post have minimal info sometimes. And like mentioned before, he dismisses most suggestions and just does what he wants. That is what I did when I started the hobby sending pm's to a member here but on a different forum. I ignored most of his advice but told him I was listening to it. But I restarted, and listened to advice, and now I have a bigger tank and the cycle is going great. The pictures were a big help, but even a contractor said it was unsuitable. I may be a bit crazy, but I put my 29g as close to the central support beam through my house as I could get it. Right on a reinforced area for the brick fireplace.

It is very hard to encourage something that will likely end in some sort of damage to an apartment. If it was a house that he owned, then it would be really easy to say, "Here are a few simple things you can have someone do to make it suitable". Replacing wiring in an apartment is not a simple or cheap task. I have no idea how the wiring is done. I would assume one or two breakers per apartment, but some people are idiots and put one breaker for every two apartments. If he blows that breaker, it could turn off power to other people (a pic of the breaker box would be nice).Water or fire damage would be crazy expensive, meaning higher insurance needs. And the land lord has to agree to it all. Most fish rooms are done on a ground floor that doesnt have a basement below it, or in a garage or in the basement.

I am sorry, but I just can not suggest putting more tanks than he already has. Maybe a 40b or something. I have read almost every thread I have found of his, and I feel for him because of how rough his life is. But that isnt an excuse to do something that is risking damage to a building with 17 other apartments. Damage would affect other families. If something happens in your house, it doesnt affect the house down the block. Just yours.

At this point, I think I have said all that I can. LBF, if you choose to ignore all of the advice and caution given, I think I will totally give up on you. I know other members have, but I have held in there and supported you. I hope I didnt sound rude or angry in any of my post. I was simply trying to point out things that need to be done, and things your land lord needs to know about before you set up another tank in that apartment.

If you do this, I hope that all goes well and nothing bad happens.

Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store