Getting soooooo frustrated with Briggs!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I have similar problems, I just did a 50% water change the other day and lost my last Briggs. They are more sensitive IMO. I have had the same nerites for 2 years or so and they are thriving, just the Briggs are problems. Is your water softened with NA or K? Also make sure your water is gassed off fully before it goes in. My water ph is 1.0 point lower coming out of the tap. You really have to let it sit overnight to get the ph to tank level.
If you can't keep them, might want to try nerites. They come in some nice colors too and kick *** with the algae and diatom.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Is your water softened with NA or K? Also make sure your water is gassed off fully before it goes in. My water ph is 1.0 point lower coming out of the tap. You really have to let it sit overnight to get the ph to tank level.
If you can't keep them, might want to try nerites. They come in some nice colors too and kick *** with the algae and diatom.
Water is naturally soft via a well and is gassed off prior to use. It is aged for several days in 1g jugs before use. I still use Prime as well at 3 drops per jug (I know...you only need 2/g). Here's my routine:

- Rinse jugs out with hot water first
- Run cold water for ~ 1 minute prior to filling jugs
- Add (3) drops of Prime
- Fill and loosely cap to allow ventilation

On water change day, old water is drawn out and new water is introduced via drop method at a rate of no more than (5) drops per second. Two is the usual.

This is why it is even more confusing since the new water is added at such a slow rate. Only thing left that I can think of is something in the water that the Prime isn't dealing with. That's why I decided to put carbon in the filter for a spell.

The mystery continues.....

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Ok, so I jumped the gun too soon. All is back to normal and turns out I only lost one. They are cruising the tank again and crawling out again as well. This was the longest "dormant" period I've ever had when keeping Briggs that are still alive that is. I did add carbon to the filter as well. Might not have needed to but was worth it to ease my mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store