Getting the 240 gallon up and running

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
So I have a couple of threads open on my 240 on monsterfishkeepers.com. This thread is about 3 months old and the tank has been running up for 3 months now. The last update #21 is the current one as of 9/21/10 is a current one.

Here is the first thread when I got it.
New 240-- First Thread -- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=289971

It had a broken center brace and I started a thread over me repairing it. It worked out really well. I hope It has help other people with this kind of repair.

Here is the link
240 Repair-- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=306205

So then I found some MONSTER driftwood for it and here is the thread of me finding it, trimming it, and cleaning it.

Here is the link
Monster driftwood for the 240--
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=323173

AND NOW its finally running. Not as quickly as I would have hoped and its not nearly complete or where i would like for it to be but it is getting there slowly but surly.

FILTRATION- I ended up going with two XP3's I hope to either add one more in the future or a 45 gallon sump I have at my dads.

THE STAND- I found the stand on a local fish form out of Houston. A guy was getting rid of it for 40 bucks. I didn't fill comfortable with how it was built so I beefed it up with a lot more studs and spines, done with 5 inch lag bolts counter sunk. This however is a temporary stand. Me and my dad are working on a Permanent stand for it. It will be done in blond wood and a dark stain. The top will be stained poured concrete. It will be dressed with crown molding and the canopy will be attached by columns that hug the corners of the tank. It will have a lot of storage under it. It will have a 4 foot slide out platform that the sump will sit on. It will slide completely out for easy access. and in the top of the canopy Is where the lights and air pumps will be housed.

THE LIGHTS - I grabbed some high output double tube 48 inch lights for a fish shop in Houston for a fair price. These things were ugly though, But it didn't matter because they were going to be housed up in the canopy and out of sight. However I didn't realized that the stand would take so long to get finished so I made a box for the lights to sit in on top of the tank. Simple, not much to it and i just painted it black.

SUBSTRATE-- I ended up going with pool filter sand because it was so cheap. I eventually want to get black moon sand. Anyway I got 200 pound of sand and I think I might need one more 50 pound bag. I put the sand it a big rubber-made container and shoved a water hose down in the bottom of it and let the water flush the sand for about 15 mins. However I'm thinking that I didn't clean it near as long as I should. The tank is still ver cloudly and It has been 12 hours.
Any suggestions? How long does it usually take to settle and clear up?

I think that is about it let me know what wall think!

Here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
Went to petco to pick up a background and they gave me two free cichlids that somebody had dropped off earlier. I also put some rocks in the tank. I did another water change but I stired up the water puting the rocks in. Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
Got Some of the stock in tonight!!!! Maybe After The 100th water change it will be as clear as I would like. Hopefully the filter this weekend will help!

Attached Thumbnails

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I have black sand in my tanks. I got it at a tractor supply store...can't remember the name.
The stuff is Black Gold http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com. it's 8$ for a 50lb bag. This stuff HAS to be rinsed until the water is clear though. It looks great and it's a fine grit as to not scrape up any digging fish.

zebvance

AC Members
Sep 21, 2010
College station texas
Real Name
Zeb
Sorry It has been so long since a update. So, I got some new fish put in the 240 and I also have some growing in my 46 gallon right now. I also bought a eheim 2260 to add to the 2 xp3's but It needs a new o-ring and 2 new clamps, so I am waiting for those to come in. I also planted some grass in the corners of the tank. I'm new to the plant thing so I don't know how it is going to work. The water has gotten 100000 time clearer, but I think there is still room for improvement and I hope once i get the 2260 up and running it will get CRISPY! SOOOOOO here is some pics of the tank and fish! ENJOY!

Attached Thumbnails

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store