Ghost Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CEggly

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
I have a 30g tank that just finished its first cycle about 2-3 weeks ago. I have already added 2 opline gourami and 5 zebra danios. I was at the pet shop yesturday and really wanted to get a couple ghost shrimp. Is that fine to have with those fish? And also what do ghost shrimp need as in plants and caves and stuff?Thanks

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I have a 30g tank that just finished its first cycle about 2-3 weeks ago. I have already added 2 opline gourami and 5 zebra danios. I was at the pet shop yesturday and really wanted to get a couple ghost shrimp. Is that fine to have with those fish? And also what do ghost shrimp need as in plants and caves and stuff?Thanks
With the gourami, ghost shrimp would probably eventualy be treats. They can be kept with them though. Heavy plants and places to hide will help them try to survive.

OscarMan82

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
Bellevue Oh
yup most fish just consider them snacks

jjanoch

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
I've got a 75g with 2 gourami, various rainbows and a small honey gourami. I added 3 ghost shrimp a few months ago which were pretty small. My tank is lightly planted with a stone cave as well.

For the first few weeks I rarely saw them with the lights on, but over time as they grew I saw them more....but only 2 of them. I assumed the 3rd one either turned into a snack or died during the introduction period.

Well here we sit 2 months later and last night I saw all three (pretty full grown now) at the same time. None of my fish, gouramis included, seem to take notice of them and if they are fighting for the same low lying food someone always backs down without a fight. (normally shrimp)

So I guess I am trying to say that while your situation could turn out differently I've got proof that it can turn out ok with the fish & shrimp you mentioned.
That being said, I don't hold out much hope of breeding the shrimp, as I think any of the newborn shrimp wouldn't last long enough to mature. My tank becomes a feeding frenzy when I treat them to a dinner of brine shrimp.

But in adult size the shrimp & fish co-exist just fine.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I too think that they will be snacks if there isn't ample hiding places. I have cherry shrimp in a tank with honey gourami and barbs and they have managed to survive and supply a couple of 10g with babies. I have a ton of moss and the baby shrimp hang out in there until they are almost full sized. It can be done, but don't be surprised if your fish eat them at every opportunity. I find that its really fun and interesting to have a small invert only tank. Their behaviour is much more outgoing without the threat of fish and my invert tanks have quickly become a family favorite at my house.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've got a 75g with 2 gourami, various rainbows and a small honey gourami. I added 3 ghost shrimp a few months ago which were pretty small. My tank is lightly planted with a stone cave as well.

For the first few weeks I rarely saw them with the lights on, but over time as they grew I saw them more....but only 2 of them. I assumed the 3rd one either turned into a snack or died during the introduction period.

Well here we sit 2 months later and last night I saw all three (pretty full grown now) at the same time. None of my fish, gouramis included, seem to take notice of them and if they are fighting for the same low lying food someone always backs down without a fight. (normally shrimp)

So I guess I am trying to say that while your situation could turn out differently I've got proof that it can turn out ok with the fish & shrimp you mentioned.
That being said, I don't hold out much hope of breeding the shrimp, as I think any of the newborn shrimp wouldn't last long enough to mature. My tank becomes a feeding frenzy when I treat them to a dinner of brine shrimp.

But in adult size the shrimp & fish co-exist just fine.
Hi.

I would like to point out that your tank is 75g in comparison to the 30g. A large spacious tank will generally allow ample hiding places for the shrimps to hide. A 30g however is small and the fish will have much easier time searching around nooks and crannies. Remember that shrimps are most vulnerable at their molting stage so mixing them with three-spot gouramis is very risky in my opinion especially with the attitude most of them have once comfortable in the tank.:)

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have 2 ghost shrimp in my 29g tank with 2 Large sailfin mollies/3 cherry barbs and a few cats and they seem fine.. though the mollies at times just get curious and pick on the shrimp, its nothing fatal.. Prior to that i had 2 albino paradise fish and as aggressive as they were they still didnt kill the shrimp..

my suggestion is try and pick out the largest of the shrimps and make sure your tank has alot of hiding spots.. worst comes to worst you will lose a buck.. I think with any community small/medium size fish the ghost shrimp will be able to defend itself (of course by quickly getting away).. a neat thing about the shrimp is that it can detect when a "predator" is near with its large antenna like feelers.. so even before the fish can come close to it, it will know its in danger and quickly swim away..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store