?? Glass Polish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I have a problem. The inside surfaces of every glass panel in my 56 column tank are covered with a milky film. This is not hard water deposit because I have tried several times to clean it up with razor blades and vinegar, but with not effect at all. It seems more like something etched into the glass. I do not know what caused it. I suspect that the tank came with this glass defect because I noticed it not long after getting the tank. I should have returned it, but a couple of months had already passed after purchase and I had it full of water.

I want to get some good pictures of this setup, but it's hard. I have found that I can get a pretty clear shot by wiping down that front panel and shooting real fast before the thin film of water evaporates.

Does anybody have any experience with glass polish? Could I hope to clean this up with glass polish?

Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are you sure it is not a bacteria or mold of some type?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Are you sure it is not a bacteria or mold of some type?
It is most definitely not that. I have scraped really hard with a razor with no effect at all. I think that it must be a blemish etched into the glass.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
exterior glass??

there are glass polishing kits available. basically uses varying degrees of polishing compounds to remove film etc.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
exterior glass??

there are glass polishing kits available. basically uses varying degrees of polishing compounds to remove film etc.
Unfortunately it's on the inside. I will probably have to tear down the tank to properly work on the glass.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I've read about LOTS of things people have used to get that sort of haze off and read lots of back and forth about what it actually is, etc., etc. From Muriatic acid to Vinegar, to Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner.

The bottom line is that is that it's caused by the constantly moist environment that's exposed to heat and light at he same time.

When I converted my 125G from SW to FW last year, the worst spots were the ones covered in coralline at the back of the tank where it was hidden behind the rocks. The coralline came off, but the haze stayed behind.

I've never tried this stuff, but for he price it may be worth a shot:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/glass-polish.html?gclid=CNmf-J_pg6wCFQjc4AodHSNsKw

Some of the glass tops on my tanks that I run warmer than others and have light fixtures close to the glass top have this issue and I'm going to be looking for the stuff myself soon.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
reading around, the consensus seems to be that this is calcium. Remedies used (with what the authors claimed to be was success) inlcude "CLR" type products, aka LimeAway; vinegar and LOTS of scraping, and the one I think would be most sensible to start out with: seltzer water. This must be PLAIN seltzer, not one of the flavored sorts, and not club soda or tonic water which are often sold in the same general section of the store.

The other thing mentioned was that this accumulates primarily around the upper edge of the tank, in the part between the water level and the top where you have evaporation and heat from lighting combined. Regrettably the sort of setup you have in this extremely beautiful tank is about the worst for use in a tank with this condition. If you're going to tear this one down anyway to deal with the white-film situation, maybe consider setting this design up in another, non-afflicted, tank. Then use this one for a layout that has water all the way (well, as high as practicable) to the top if none of the products suggested here get rid of the white to your satisfaction.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
reading around, the consensus seems to be that this is calcium. Remedies used (with what the authors claimed to be was success) inlcude "CLR" type products, aka LimeAway; vinegar and LOTS of scraping, and the one I think would be most sensible to start out with: seltzer water. This must be PLAIN seltzer, not one of the flavored sorts, and not club soda or tonic water which are often sold in the same general section of the store.

The other thing mentioned was that this accumulates primarily around the upper edge of the tank, in the part between the water level and the top where you have evaporation and heat from lighting combined. Regrettably the sort of setup you have in this extremely beautiful tank is about the worst for use in a tank with this condition. If you're going to tear this one down anyway to deal with the white-film situation, maybe consider setting this design up in another, non-afflicted, tank. Then use this one for a layout that has water all the way (well, as high as practicable) to the top if none of the products suggested here get rid of the white to your satisfaction.
Nope, it's not calcium. This is a glass defect that the tank came with brand new. I have tried vineger and lots of scraping with a fresh razor blade, but these had no effect at all. I have tried these tactics on badly calcified tanks before and with sufficient effort they always work. The film is etched into the surface of the glass and the only way to remove it is going to be with a fine polish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store