Glass top for hexagon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffd17

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2004
Salem, NH
Visit site
Has anyone ever made a cover/top for their aquarium made out of glass or plexiglass before? I have a 35 gallon hexagon, its a deep aquarium, I need to get more lighting done there. I have a piece of lexiglass (high end plexiglass, 1/4"thich) that I put two hoods on from old aquariums, which have 18" bulbs each, that really brightened things up. I've been looking everywhere for glass sheets but havent found any. If you know anywhere that would be appreciated, or is there any sites online that would custom make one. I love my aquarium, but when I upgrade, it wont be a hexagon shaped aquarium.

OldVamp

Blue Mole Shrimp
Dec 29, 2003
Sparta, TN
www.oldvamp.com
you could prolly go to any glass cutting shop and get them to cut a top for it. you might have to do some measureing and drawing though to really show them what you want. they may even cut it in half and make it a hinged glass top.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
jsut bring the top you have now to a glass shop to use as a template.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check Home Depot/Lowe's--they will usually cut glass according to your specs, there is a charge, but it's not much. Otherwise, a glass shop will be your best bet. I would be sure to leave a gap on at least one side, or add aeration--hex tanks are notorious for becoming low in O2, and a tight fitting cover will compound that problem. I ran one for a while with an aerator--worked fine until the power went out for a few hours. I lost all but 2 fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store