Glassfish: Freshwater or Brackish?? Please help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I had glassfish for a little while, with the same tragic end. Are they looking cloudy at all when they begin to be listless?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Putting a filter from an established tank is not going to give you instant tank. even at a month old as you add fish you should do it slow. I might be reading your post wrong, but I think you have too many fish in too new a tank. Remember that you need to increase the bio load slowly. Your bacteria in the filter only accounts for less than 25 % of total. The rest is on the glass, ornaments, and mainly in the substrate. Using a seeded filter is the best help as you have done. I do it often too to help along the bacteria farm.

As far as salt goes, I add salt to all of my tanks (1 teaspoon per 10 gallon water) except those with tetras. If I suspect illness I increase to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons temporarily with an increase in temp. Seems to work for me.

shibby

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
I had glassfish for a little while, with the same tragic end. Are they looking cloudy at all when they begin to be listless?
cloudy, yes! exactly. they get cloudy looking, then listless, then death quickly follows within a day or 2.

shibby

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
What are your KH and pH levels in the tank BTW? These fish are from similar environments to dwarf puffers and likely would do better with water more in the 7.5ish range with a high KH.

The fact that our otos are doing well speaks volumes about your water quality and shows the imported filter worked fine.

Eric
I need to pickup a new water measure kit as my other one was thrown away. I'll do this this weekend and check the specs.

I live in Los Angeles, and in general the water quality is considered to be hard.

shibby

AC Members
Nov 26, 2005
Putting a filter from an established tank is not going to give you instant tank. even at a month old as you add fish you should do it slow. I might be reading your post wrong, but I think you have too many fish in too new a tank. Remember that you need to increase the bio load slowly. Your bacteria in the filter only accounts for less than 25 % of total. The rest is on the glass, ornaments, and mainly in the substrate. Using a seeded filter is the best help as you have done. I do it often too to help along the bacteria farm.

As far as salt goes, I add salt to all of my tanks (1 teaspoon per 10 gallon water) except those with tetras. If I suspect illness I increase to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons temporarily with an increase in temp. Seems to work for me.
hi, great info. this is what i suspect too. I think that i may have added too many too fast. they may have went through a brief amnonia spike and it may have taken its toll for them. damm.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
cloudy, yes! exactly. they get cloudy looking, then listless, then death quickly follows within a day or 2.
this sounds like exactly what happened to mine. i agree (from my similar experience) that it was too much too soon. mine were in a new tank as well. i also think that these guys may be a bit vulnerable. i'm waiting until my tank matures a little more, but plan to try them again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store