Glo-Fish = Danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Somehow, when I look at the glowfish (and it doesn't matter whether we're talking about an LFS or a Big Box), they never seem to look as robust as a regular zebra danio. Tanks always have a lot of fish with bent looking spines and just looking like they're not going to live a long life. Anyone else notice this?
Andy

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
I never buy died fish - they're already dead. But as far as dyed fish go, I don't buy them either. :D

As far as doing no harm, I don't think there has been enough life cycles to call that factual just yet. Who know what the long term consequence is and they are now fish that can no longer be turned loose into the wild. So what happens to the ecosystem when some moron turns them loose?
lol that is the first time I have ever mispelt that...

dpenguinfish

Pwnd by a goldfish. GOLDFISH FTW!!!
Jul 24, 2007
orlando FLorida
Somehow, when I look at the glowfish (and it doesn't matter whether we're talking about an LFS or a Big Box), they never seem to look as robust as a regular zebra danio. Tanks always have a lot of fish with bent looking spines and just looking like they're not going to live a long life. Anyone else notice this?
Andy
ya i have

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i would love to see some other gene-changed fish. thats really interesting

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I have glo fish and they are actually extremely healthy and hardy (but I got them for a privately owned small fish store). Not my favorite fish, but my daughter LOVES them. Actually, zebra danios have been used extensively for scientific research (including gene splicing into their genome) because they are very hardy and are able to handle this very well. Also, if they breed with non-glo zebra, after a couple of generations the gene would most likely be selected out and the offspring would be wild type.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
on a side note its illegal to breed and sell the fry.... they are also illegal to own in cali.
I think it's illegal to breed and sell the fry because this genetic strain is patented, not for fear of ecological or biological issues.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
I noticed these some time ago and was always surprised by the seeming lack of response, there is one distributor in the US www.glofish.com is their site and you can read all of their info and pr there - the California legality issue is covered as well as a brief, somewhat glossed over history. Not too surprising that the inbreeding is taking its toll at this point, they started with a limited (very limited) pool of genetically altered fish, added marine DNA (some say coral others attribute it jellyfish and the like) that fluoresced and once altered specimens matured bred the three color stains from there, really a small gene pool thats been bred like crazy. There is so much cloudy legal stuff surrounding these that, well...:confused:

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
I thought the Gene came from Jellyfish since Scientist used their genes on fertilized mice eggs and when they were born the baby mice were fluoresent under some sort of light. The jellyfish gene was recessive, which made it only visible under a certain light, the gene GloFish have must have been Dominant because they have been breeding and their babies are also fluoresent. Im not sure about the legal law thing in certain states but alot of fish are illegal in CA for some reason.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
id love to see somProxy-Connection: keep-alive Cache-Control: max-age=0 20kind of cichlid with that gene in them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store