Glofish and Mystery Snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KelsoShae

Registered Member
Feb 8, 2020
I currently have a 30 gallon fresh water tank. It's habitats include a large red glofish (gender unknown), a small blue glofish (gender unknow) and a growing mystery snail (gender unknown). My tank originally had a male betta tank mate, but the red glofish was pretty aggressive on the betta's fins so I have since removed the betta to a seperate tank. My concern is of my mystery snail. He was inactive in the same spot in my tank for about two days, I picked him up and he was responsive to my touch, and I moved him centrally in the tank. For about an hour he moved around slightly, and has been inactive since. He looks fairly bloated, not able to enclose in his shell comfortably... He is also excreting a fair amount. I have a feeling he is on his way out, but I'm uncertain as to why. I have done weekly 25% water changes once a week (using a syphon, moving through gravel to suck up any debris). Conditioners used are 10mLs each of Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Aquaplus, and Nutrafin waste control (I fill a bucket and add above amount and fill both my 30 gallon and my 3.5 gallon - where my betta is now housed- and the betta hasn't had any discomfort). Temperature is currently 78°. I feed my mystery snail half an algae wafer once a week, and half the time I have to scoop out the remains. Any advise is appreciated!!!!

DSC_0354.JPG

gmwJOY

AC Members
Feb 25, 2020
Indian > west bengal > kolkata
Real Name
Joy Banerjee
look, some says that , need 25% water change weekly, but for me i think it will stress them out , so monthly 50 % water change is enough , just make sure your filtration is good , once you tank matures its done , dont do to much water change dont do heater on off , just leave it alone for a month, then do monthly 50 % water change

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Water changes are good. They remove wastes and keep the water closer to tap. Doing them wrong or with poor source water will be detrimental, but otherwise, there is NO reason not to do big, regular water changes.

Do you feed the snail specifically?

Reactions: Jspigs

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
What kind of fish is the large glofish? Is it possible that he is nipping at your snail?

When my platies were housed with my apple snails, theyd constantly pick at them, eating slime and biting their antenna. It made them stay in one spot all the time, closed up or at least tucked in like yours. Once I removed my platies to a different tank, my apple snails came back out free from harassment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store