GloFish Tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Jeez guys, chill it,. They are not dyed or tattooed. Just spliced with pig and elephant DNA.

I think they are pretty awesome looking! I probably wouldnt buy them though. :D

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I contacted the GloFish company about a year ago regarding the production of GloFish and legality of breeding them. Apperently the original stock was injected with jellyfish DNA while still in the egg. The fish hatch and grow then when they breed they pass on the coloration. While not a dominant trait the color will (if the gene is present) will always show in the offspring. Each egg and sperm cell, however, may or may not contain that gene. They aren't quite as bad as tattooed fish but its still something I'm not totally for. But if you like them and do end up getting some, their care is exactly the same as black skirt tetras (or white skirt tetras).

PS: If they do breed for you it is illegal to sell the offspring per copyright/patent rules ;)

They also have this for Convict Cichlids and Angelfish and I would guess they are working on more species ATM.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd probably buy purple or blue angels especially since I need something to replace my gourami's, but I don't think I'd buy them if they stick with the 500-600% markup like the regular glofish.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I'd buy them in a minute but unfortunately these are banned in California the last I heard, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
They are not dyed or tattooed. Just spliced with pig and elephant DNA.
I beg to differ. Pig and elephant DNA just won't splice! Haven't you ever heard that song by Loverboy?

***bunch of stuff I said that someone else already explained***

I personally wouldn't buy them, but not for moral reasons. Just because they look so gaudy. I prefer a natural look to my tanks. For anyone with clown puke gravel and fluorescent castles, etc. I think they'd make a great, guilt free addition to your tank!

Last edited:

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
GloConvicts would be awesome. I like glofish.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
if i could get those or even regular glofish i'd be so happy but they aren't legal here in canada either so i can't.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I prefer a natural looking tank, so the glofish don't appeal to me. But, I don't think they're any worse than the various "balloon" varieties of mollies and such that can hardly swim. Or for that matter, the age old goldfish with telescopic eyes sticking out. Obviously tattooed or dyed fish is cruel and I would be against that.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
There's a big difference between the inhumane and disgusting practice of "tattooing" fish and genetically altering them. While I'm also not really down with genetic alteration, I can at least say that the fish themselves are probably not in any pain and are not suffering. I still think it's weird and may have consequences we can't fathom at this point and I would never, ever, ever own them myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store