going insane from white things on glass..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1951111&uid=1023280&members=1

THERE.
I am seriously going to go nuts. I have to scrape them off everyday and since my 100 gallon is against the wall, its really hard to reach the back when you're 5'4", and the tank's top is at about 5'2"

What might these be? I had them once in a smaller 2.5 gallon, used rid ich, and POOF! they were gone. I've been doing rid ich for 3 days, no stop. Im gonna put my fish through a starvation period for about 2-3 days ( big fish, they'll be ok ) and syphon like CRAZY tonight becaues they are SO UGLY all linty and nasty on my tank glass.
Oh yes. Oscar biffed his head on a suction cup edge, and since he's camera shy i drew a picture of him so you can laugh at his misfortune xD Dont worry, he loves attention...enough to tear off his scales.
Going to pet store tonight, in like..30 minutes >.> hopefully someone is reading this?
tyty

oscarlvr

AC Members
Dec 19, 2001
Edmonton, Alta
hey, i have the same problem and have had it for some time. I have tried EVERYTHING!! After a great deal of research and asking a million people a million questions I still don't know what it is. It looks like lint and it's whitish/clearish and if you leave it it kinda moves with the flow of the water?? sound familair? I did talk to someone who said it is probably a fungas/mould that is harmless. He said if it reminds you of algea but is whitish, then it is a growth. It doesn't seem to bother the fish but it REALLY bothers me! I thought I had gotten rid of it when I treated for a internal parasite with "PEPZINE" but as usual it came back. I decided to just keep the glass clean and maintain excellent water conditions and TRY HARD not to let it drive me crazy.

Best of luck, let us know if you find a majic cure and I will do the same!

enjoyin fish in Canada
:rolleyes:

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ive had white stuff on my tank walls before but these were like worms they would move up and dowm they were so darn small it drove me nuts. I did a major water change this was before I knew about water changes cause I emptied the whole tank clean both gravel and tank with soap (yes I was that ignorant so sue me) and put water back made sure it was right temp tossed fish in and it went away and never returned. Now I wont do that lucky Ive never had that happen again. This was before I had my Jag.

Being happy with my fish here in the great U.S.of.A.

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
thanks for the responses, and some of your experiences! I guess ill just keep scrubbing away, and post here if I find a cure for the big tanks fungal whatever! :D

wetmanNY

AC Members
Hydra and planarians are the usual offenders. It's not the little critters that drive you guys into a frenzy-- those are the big ones. The little ones only show with a 10x magnifier.

A cheap microscope works wonders in the drive-you-up-the-wall department. Try a scraping off your own forehead with the edge of a credit card and put that on a slide.

Makes you want to chop your own head off!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
My guess is nematodes, but who knows. Anyway a large water change seems to be a decent cure-all for just about any problems. Suggest 50% weekly changes for 2-3 weeks, being really careful to vacuum the gravel until nothing comes out. Plus it may be time to give your filter a good cleaning...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store