Going to test the Dr. Tim's One and Only bacteria on a new tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
New test... how long does it take a tank to uncycle... I put all the nice Fiji cycled rock in my 40g breeder tank. Put all my old live rock from my old 29 gallon tank in this tank. I'm not going to feed the tank at all... oh and the tank has nolive stock. I was going to dry all this rock out and start over with it anyways so... just for kicks I thought I would do this.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
So the plan is to starve the tank and see if you can get ammonia to spike from the dead bacteria? Maybe I'm really overworked and tired to think this through straight but wouldn't the die off be slow enough that you wouldn't notice the uncycle? Would assume the dead bacteria will feed the living until you eventually reach some kind of equilibrium. Won't you have to add food eventually to really test this?

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
I am not sure Graham.... I guess that I would have to add some food source to test for ammonia eventually... I will confess that I got most of this live rock from Petco... before I knew better! and it just sucks... LOL... that's why i did the dry rock for the 40B.. wanted it to not only look good but not be full of bubble algae and hair algae... anyways... hmmmmmm.... maybe I will just dry out the rock, give it a vinegar bath and recycle it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store