Gold Dojo Loach - A Few Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
Im thinking about getting a couple Gold Dojo Loaches for my new 55gal, but I do have some questions.

(1)I have a sand bottom which I know they prefer, but I have egg crate underneath to help support a rock formation Im making and putting in there.. will they be okay with the egg crate or will it hurt them when they try to burro? I have a couple inches of sand above it.

(2)What I have read states they do well with company of their own kind... so Im thinking 2-3... sound good?

(3)Will they be okay with a BGK? They one I have is about 4 inches right, about the same size as the loaches at the store Id be getting them from. I know in the end the BGK will get bigger than them but being as they are supposed to be mainly peacefull, I was hoping it would work out.

(4)Lastly, from what I have read, the highest end of the temperature scale for them is 77f. Is it really going to hurt them if the temp gets a little higher? I mean I will do my best to get the temp stable there before I get them, but it might be difficult to keep the temp constantly between 76-77 (76 being the lower end for the other fish).

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
anyone at all? Im starting to get close to stocking time so Im hoping to know for sure what I will be getting.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I don't have a gold dojo, but I have a reg. color one. She is in my tank with my angelfish. I have had her for about 3 yrs now, and have had no issues with the higher temps. I would think you'd be ok with your eggcrates, as long as they can't get underneath it, and not be able to get out. Mine's living in gravel, she hides in a cave, or just anywhere really. She doesn't seem too upset about being the only one, she spends some time with my rope fish. I can't tell you anything about the BGK, never had one. Mine is big though, she is about 7-8 inches long, and really fat, and loves to eat her bloodworms, lol.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You should be fine with the egg crate. I would say to go with 3, you'll love this fish!

Try to keep them at the lower end of the tropical scale if possible, I keep mine at 74-75.

Whats a BGK?They'll probobly be fine, as the loaches get pretty big, and are wicked fast.

If you get 3 I reccomend getting one from the 3 diffferent color variations so you know which one is which. Their personality and antics are wicked funny, and their my favorite fish.

Good luck!

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
You should be fine with the egg crate. I would say to go with 3, you'll love this fish!
at 6-8inches full grown that wont be too much for a 55gal with other fish?

Whats a BGK?They'll probobly be fine, as the loaches get pretty big, and are wicked fast.
Black Ghost Knife. Hes just a baby now at 4 inches, but hes obviously going to end up bigger than the loaches. I know they are supposed to be mostly peacefull with anything that cant fit in their mouth, but I just wanted to double check because I have seen a couple sources that go as far as keeping with fish of same or larger size. I was hoping to see if anyone here had keep the two together so I could be more confidant that everyone would get along.

If you get 3 I reccomend getting one from the 3 diffferent color variations so you know which one is which. Their personality and antics are wicked funny, and their my favorite fish.
3 color variations? I knew of the plain one which appears to be a greyish with pattern? and the gold obviously, but whats the last? Albino? If so, wouldnt that look pretty similar to the gold?

Good luck!
Thanks

And thanks chickenlady also for the reply!

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
You're welcome. But if it was me, I wouldn't do 3. 2 maybe, but I guess it depends on how much you like them and your other inhabitants, . Mine is in a 75 and she uses every bit of it.

Spunky

AC Members
I have been looking into dojos as well. I have a 58 (36"x18") and was told 4 to 5 would be fine (on another forum). From what i have read, they are much happier and more active in groups of 3 or more.

The thing to think about is that they are a subtropical fish. The max temp i have seen recommended is 72 degrees. There are arguments that they do fine with higher temps, but most dedicated dojo sites still stick with the lower temps. I do not know much about BGK, but i assume they like tropical temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store