Gold Tetra Babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishhead

Nov 27, 2002
Austin, TX
I have been sort of busy lately so besides trimming the plants on weekends I hadn't really been paying a lot of attention to the tank. So today I was pulling up the Cabomba and chopping off the bottoms, when I noticed a baby Gold Tetra had been hiding in the Cabomba. It is about 2mm, and looks just like a full grown one except it is teeny. I looked around for more, and didn't see any, but the tank is a jungle and there are caves all over the place in the driftwood so maybe there are more. I have a dwarf puffer and a few big Rosy Barbs in there that I figured would eat any fry if the MTSes and other fish didn't get the eggs first. I guess having tons of plants providing hiding places helped. I have seen my Pencilfish mating and laying eggs a few times, but their eggs always were eaten by those evil snails. How cool that at least one survived. It didn't go after the food on the surface, but I sank some food and it chowed down, so maybe it will survive its larger tankmates.

Interestingly it appears to have a gold tint to it. I had heard that they needed to be raised in the wild to have that color and that tank bred ones were silver.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store