goldfish are compatible with...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
I've posted this in previous threads, but here is my successful goldfish (coldwater) tank. Please bear in mind that many of my non-goldfish are still very small (i.e. the plecos and denison's barbs) and that my tank is due for an upgrade soon. As for the goldfish, I got them all at the 1" to 2" size and they're thriving :) As for the non-goldfish, the Denison's barbs are new, the plecos are all about 6 months in the tank, and I've had all the rest of the fish for at least a year in these conditions. Three of the bronze corys are unintentional and exceptionally lucky offspring of one of the original inhabitants who is still in the tank.

1 9" shubunkin
2 6" orandas
1 5" celestial
1 4" moor

5 golden barbs
some zebra fish (they're getting slowly eaten, probably by one of the orandas, and are being phased out)
4 denison's barbs/roseline sharks
3 rubberlip plecos
1 royal pleco
1 ancistrus sp.
1 common pleco
2 peppered corys
6 bronze corys
3 dojo loaches
4 apple snails
2 ramshorn snails

no live plants

75g
fluval 404
aquaclear 100
twin tube fluorescent lighting
no heaters
1 powerhead
bubble wand

50% water changes weekly.

kagaskritters

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
www.freewebs.com
goldfish should really be kept with only goldfish. i know weather loachs seem to do well with them and cool water pleco would be ok. but as for danios and other stuff you have to be very careful as goldfish have been known to kill smaller fish. they will also bully and beat up a smaller goldfish too. for best results have a couple of goldfish and start them at the same size. they do need a good bit of room per fish. the fancy types usually average around 12" each but the comets get more like 18" each. never plan on housing a koi inside for its lifetime as they get very large. you also need lots of filtration for a goldfish tank as they are VERY dirty and produce a very high amount of ammonia.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I've posted this in previous threads, but here is my successful goldfish (coldwater) tank. Please bear in mind that many of my non-goldfish are still very small (i.e. the plecos and denison's barbs) and that my tank is due for an upgrade soon. As for the goldfish, I got them all at the 1" to 2" size and they're thriving :) As for the non-goldfish, the Denison's barbs are new, the plecos are all about 6 months in the tank, and I've had all the rest of the fish for at least a year in these conditions. Three of the bronze corys are unintentional and exceptionally lucky offspring of one of the original inhabitants who is still in the tank.

1 9" shubunkin
2 6" orandas
1 5" celestial
1 4" moor

5 golden barbs
some zebra fish (they're getting slowly eaten, probably by one of the orandas, and are being phased out)
4 denison's barbs/roseline sharks
3 rubberlip plecos
1 royal pleco
1 ancistrus sp.
1 common pleco
2 peppered corys
6 bronze corys
3 dojo loaches
4 apple snails
2 ramshorn snails

no live plants

75g
fluval 404
aquaclear 100
twin tube fluorescent lighting
no heaters
1 powerhead
bubble wand

50% water changes weekly.
your stock list is impressive to say the least, but to me it's also scary as hell.

imagine being on a boat on the ocean. it's nice, calm weather. . . then someone calls out, and you see the hugest, darkest, most lightning-filled freaking storm you've ever seen in your life approaching on the horizon. the pattern in the clouds themselves actually spells out the word "disaster". that is what i picture in my mind when i think of your tank, every single time you boast about how successful it is and everyone is getting along so well. if you continue to keep all those tropical fish in temperate water, you ARE going to see health problems down the line.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
your tank stocking is pretty risky, but i commend you since it sounds to me like its working.

As for the temperature, 75* sounds perfect for all those fish.

Aoi_Goldfish

Blue fish and love for wildlife
Sep 10, 2007
TN
tank mates for goldie

I've been keeping goldfish for a long time and I have found that dojo loaches get along with goldfish quite well. Both are a peaceful species and the dojo will add entertainment and character. Both stir up the gravel so make sure you have very efficient filtration system.
I have come into my room several times and have found the dojo lying next to my sleeping goldfish on the gravel. They are very cute next to one another. The dojo is also an escape artist so make sure there is no holes, same applies to goldfish. Dojos enjoy things to hide in or in some cases under. Also what the goldfish fail to eat the dojo will. So they are perfect tankmates. :thumbsup:

Also, creek minnows get along well with goldfish. The bullnosed minnow especially as I have had mine for a while and he's about 5 inches. But that brings in potential problems for parasite problems. So be cautious.
Some species of catfish get along well with goldfish. What it boils down to is a very reputable fish store and research. I have learned the hard way that jumping into something is very bad.

Patience is key with anything. ;)

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I have a Gibbiceps pleco that lives in my pond outside during spring and summer with my shibunkins and inside in the tank during winter. My pond is not heated and reaches temps of between 22 - 27 degrees celcius during the spring/summer period.

I am looking at trying to heat the pond so that the pleco and live in the pond all year round so if you have the space for a pleco as they do get quite large I don't see why a pleco cannot live with your goldfish.

Cheers
Debbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store