Goldfish Can't Swallow Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
So a little while ago I bought a new goldfish. Quarantined him for 2 weeks, was doing great, eating well and was totally fine. After 2 weeks I put him in my 75 gal display tank (with other goldfish) and about a week later he started sitting at the bottom and when he'd eat he'd sit and chew on the food then spit it out after awhile. Almost as if he can't swallow it. My substrate is sand so no pebbles are stuck in his mouth, and I took him out and observed inside his mouth and couldn't see anything.

He's now back in the quarantine tank, swimming fine sometimes, then other times sitting at the bottom in the corner. He acts like he has an appetite, always swimming up to me when I feed him, but eventually he spits it back out. What's going on???

He doesn't look bloated or has dropsy. Looks totally healthy besides the fact he can't eat and sits at the bottom sometimes. Water parameters are good, ammonia 0 nitrate 0 and nitrite about 10-15.

I've also tried feeding him 3 different types of food. Repashy soilent green, hikari pellets and flake food. Nothing working.

Any ideas on what this could be??

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of "goldfish"?

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I might try an Epsom salt bath, alot of goldfish will develop GI disorders and try to add some plant matter to diet, if not already. Aside from an impaction, the fish will feed once healthy.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store