Goldfish Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ganina

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
After reading the sticky Goldfish Article. it seams like pellets is the preferable choice of food for pond goldfish. I was wondering is there one type or brand that is better than the other? I can't seem to find sinking pellets anywhere in my area I am currently feeding my Goldfish a mixture of Tetra Pond Variety Blend Pellets and Omega One Goldfish Flakes .For the winter I am keeping them in a stock tank in my basement and feeding them every other day

Thank you

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
Try feeding them some natural stuff from your own table. Many Goldfish seemed to have lived good lives on just generic flakes but the Omega One has gotten high praise and I know that Goldfish will eat Peas, Zuccini and fruit among other things. Goldfish get really big and are omnivores which means that they will try anything that looks as if it might be food including slow moving fish. It is not a good idea to put smaller fish in with bigger fish. And plants look like salad to them.

caseyface

AC Members
May 13, 2008
Arizona
Omega One is a decent staple food, but I would supplement with fresh foods including frozen foods as well. Unfortunately the ingredients in most commercial pet foods are full of poor protein sources and harmful preservatives. It's best to feed either frozen, live, and fresh foods.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Go to the Koi section and buy the koi floating pellets. If you've got single tailed fish the risk of swim bladder issues is minimal so don't worry about finding the sinking kind. Look for lower protein mostly made from fish/shrimp meal. Less than 40% by mass is preferable. Look for higher ash 10-12% and a large amount of vitamin fortification. This will work as a staple.

Then also include fresh veggies and other foods in with their diet. Having some salad (peas, duckweed, lettuce, etc...) will keep their digestive tract moving and healthy. When feeding fresh food be sure to do large water because like us they can't break down cellulose (lots of floating green and clear stuff the next day).

Ganina

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. All but one of my Goldies are single tails. I love the Comets. They are so graceful looking

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Long-bodieds are fine with floating foods. It is the round-bodieds that need sinking pellets. I would still go with the best quality available. I only feed New Life Spectrum. On this diet my goldfish don't bother live plants. Even if you can't get it locally it is worth getting online. Omega One is one of the better foods, but with artificial colors in all their foods as well as two preservatives and not knowing how much of those preservatives, I am not giving them my money or trusting my fish with them.

That article was written for fancy (rouund-bodied) goldfish in aquariums, so a few things may be different when applied to long-bodied or in ponds.

Ganina

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
Thank you Reptileguy. I am assuming that I can buy New Life Spectrum at Drs Foster and Smith. Am I right? My Goldies primary home is a pond

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I know amazon carries it, I don't know who else. I get it from my work. I buy it by the bucket.

Ganina

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
Thank you Reptileguy again What type of New Life Spectrum do you get? I have to place a order through Amazon soon.I never thought of ordering from Amazon for pet supplies:wall:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store