Goldfish is swimming really weird - help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amyandlars

AC Members
Sep 18, 2006
ok I lied about the salt water treatment. I decided after watching it bob like floater in the water and trying to sink down that it did indeed have a swim bladder infection. He is in a qt tank, and being watched frequently. We place a broad spectrum antibac from API, and just waiting and hoping.

Sorry that I disregarded advice, but I used what knowledge i've learned from the board in the last 2 weeks and hope that it all works out.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
antibacterial is really useless for him and you shouldn't have to move him if it's swim bladder, the only really good thing to help efficiently enough is to be religiously precise with your water changes and do not skip them. Pristine water is really the best thing for him...

bzboy

AC Members
Nov 4, 2004
What type of filtration do you have for your 10 gallon tank? You could try melafix - all natural.

amyandlars

AC Members
Sep 18, 2006
It's now stopped. Now he is hanging at the bottom of the tank, swimming normally, and eating again, albeit more slowly. So now that appears to be fixed, it's time to focus on the other problem tank size. I can't get a pond for him, but I can try my best to upgrade his tank. So what tank size does he need. This is the 2nd tank I've bought for this fish, and I don't want to go too small again. Please don't say the biggest you can afford, because a 10 gallon was it. It'll be a strain to get a bigger tank, but I'll sell plasma if need be to get what size he needs.

amyandlars

AC Members
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks Dangerdoll! I tried looking it up on the web and saw a ton a "knowledgable" sites that listed 10gal minimum. The best answer I got was 29gal for just one and only one fish. 40gal sounds better than the 29 though.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Dangerdoll said:
If you've only got 1 fish, you'll need to accomodate for him as if he were full grown. I would consider looking into a 40 gallon.
more like 55 or even a 75. you might even look into an outdoor pond.

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
comet goldfish can live closely to the freezing point. Your comet will grow very fast if he/she lives in a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store