Goldfish tail fin has disappeared

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:eek: that tail looks awful! if it were my fish i would euthanise rather than leave it like that. clove oil if you do, its humane.

seriously, you need to upgrade your tank asap, or rehome your goldfish. they are common goldfish and should reach sizes of well over a foot in length. i dont know what treatment to use for your poor goldie, but clean water would be the best, which it cant and wont get in a 10gallon tank with other goldfish and loaches. i hope someone more knowledgable comes on soon to help you out.

i have a 17 gallon tank i use as a QT and when i put 1 of my fish in it the poor thing looks so cramped up and sad, i couldnt house a goldfish in anything less than that. your tank is almost half my QT volumn and is grossly ovestocked. you have definately come to the right place for helping your fish, good luck with your poorly guy.

oh and you really shouldnt listen to pet shop talk, ive not heard a sensible thing out of any of mine. do your own research on your fish, much safer ;)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
The tail looks pretty bad. If you decide to try to treat it, I would quarantine the fish and let it start to grow back on its own. The tail may, indeed, regenerate. I have never had one that bad, but I have had one with severe ammonia burn (tank crashed and I was away.) and at least 2/3 of the tail grew back. Now he is a wonderful, healthy veiltail that is several years old.

If you get any red around the tail, I would treat with an antibiotic immediately. It looks to me like it's been nipped off. I could be wrong, but I would guess your algae eater is the culprit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store