Goldfish tank setup... Poor condition.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kk1999

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2021
Hi guys,

So basically my neighbours built this tank and added 8 comet goldfish and 4 others which I cannot figure out what exactly they are.

The tank seems to be in a poor condition so I decided to post here for help. Please let me know what changes I gotta make and any plants you'd suggest or any cleaning team.

Please take a look at the photos.
IMG_20211021_094422.jpg16347846729175667966726087957160.jpgIMG-20211020-WA0010.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Phew, it's a pond, was a little worried was gonna see a small tank.

Okay so I would suggest to add some water lettuce for some floating plant cover--this will help with the green water as it will shade out some of the pond, and will use up nitrates which will feed algae as well. Plus, gives fish somewhere to shelter under. Water lettuce doesn't seem to get eaten by goldfish, so it's a good option with them. I've also had decent luck with salvinia too, but water lettuce is better for ponds due to potential large size.

Second, add a filter or pump system to keep water moving for extra oxygen and to help clean the water of fine debris.

Other plants are helpful for water quality as well, such as hornwort, anacharis, water sprite... but may get some nibbles on them from the fish.

kk1999

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2021
Phew, it's a pond, was a little worried was gonna see a small tank.

Okay so I would suggest to add some water lettuce for some floating plant cover--this will help with the green water as it will shade out some of the pond, and will use up nitrates which will feed algae as well. Plus, gives fish somewhere to shelter under. Water lettuce doesn't seem to get eaten by goldfish, so it's a good option with them. I've also had decent luck with salvinia too, but water lettuce is better for ponds due to potential large size.

Second, add a filter or pump system to keep water moving for extra oxygen and to help clean the water of fine debris.

Other plants are helpful for water quality as well, such as hornwort, anacharis, water sprite... but may get some nibbles on them from the fish.
Thanks a lot for replying.

About the filter or pump system, I was wondering if it would be necessary because I'm in a tropical country, Indonesia to be precise and secondly I live in outskirts so its filled with greens everywhere. It rains a lot so the water is displaced quiet frequently.

The geography brings me to another question. There are a lot of snails or many different sizes so will it be sensible to use them and there are many different plants in the damp area in the woods. I was able to figure out some are poisonous to the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store