Good food for Primarily Cichlid Tanks, (I know it's cliche..)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
In response to "why not feed cat/dog food", fish aren't supposed to have mammalian derived foods (which lamb would constitute as).

I also noticed no one seems to have mentioned veggies... peas, zucchini, lettuce, kale...

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Oh yes, what veggies do you use? is it the frozen or canned? i get em mixed up

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I feed my jack dempseys a wide variety of exclusively frozen foods (right now I have Beefheart cubes, Mystis shrimp, Bloodworm, and Emerald Entree...Next time I'll probably go with squid, krill, and more bloodworm/beefheart) along with New Life Spectrum cichlid pellet. Hikari Gold is another good brand I like to use occasionally. Variety is key to happy, healthy fish. ;)

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I mentioned veggies in mine. I have/do use: Romain Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce (less desirable than Romain), Cucumber (their favorite!) Squash, Zuccini, Spinach, and have tried peas. I just slice them into wafer form and cut around the peel and add to a veggie clip. I have tried to freeze them for a half hour, boil them briefly, etc., but my fish prefer all their veggies RAW! It's easier for me too!:)

As far as their staple diet, I use primarily New Life Spectrum. It does use fish meal as well as other "meals", but it is high in natural color enhancers, and contains no hormones. I believe it's the only food that guarantees "fish having more color in 10 days or money back". My own experience....just to be fair and factual....is that I have not noticed any more color in my fish than I did before. I will say that they have kept up their "best colors" more consistently with this food than before they used it. I have always used a variety of good, quality foods in all my fish's diets, so I really didn't expect to see much. The manufacturer says to use this food exclusively, and you will have best results! I will not go to that extreme, but I did use it exclusively for my first two weeks just to find out if their claim is true. I didn't notice one bit of color loss, and they immediately dove at this new food!

I'm going to use the rest of my "other" staples (including Hikari Pellets, Bio-blend, etc), and then change to using Spectrum as my sole staple food. I will still continue to use Freeze-dried foods, veggie flakes, and occassional other treats.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Thanks all!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store