Got Geckos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Guess you're up you're latin. :eek:

Speaking of iguanas, I have heard so many stories of them being such wonderful characters. They really become quite a part of the family, but then again doesn't any animal just about?

I actually had one for a short time when I was very young. My dad had bought it for me for my birthday. He was small at the time. I got scared when I thought he was trying to bite me, and he got away, very quickly I might add. But the strange thing was, he kept coming back every summer to our backyard to eat the vines and flowers on the power lines. He walked those lines like a tightrope person. He was huge in no time, at least 4-5+ feet. Neon green, beautiful and happy. I feel bad now that I know the iguana has become an introduced species. Now, years after I've moved from my hometown of Key West, Florida, I hear that there is now a wild population there. I don't know just how damaging they are to native species there, but there were no other really large predators or other animals like that down there. I heard they become very large, and love to be near the water. They are seen often on seawalls and what not. Interesting for the lizards I'm sure, and sad because it shows how many people were illed prepared when they made the impulsive purchase.

rich311k

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich
I have a male red eared slider that has been a member of the family longer that any pet we own. Tom is at least 17. He will follow you around the room as you walk through swimming from resting place to resting place. I tease my wife that he is a bigger begger than the dog. If you have the space for another large tank I would hardily endorse them as great pets.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
norm3000 said:
Are there any small to medium sized lizards that don't require live food? I've always liked the leopards but I am really not interested in handling crickets or other insects.
Define small to medium-sized? As I stated in my first post in this thread, we had a Berber (AKA Schnieder) skink that ate canned cat food and chooped up mushy fruit, like Kiwi and Cantaloupe. Great lizard that I highly recommend to reptile newbs, especially those wishing to avoid feeding live.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Introduced species are a sad thing, but you were little, how could you know? it's better than the people (grown adults usually) who dump them on purpose. And the idiots who introduced starlings- I love starlings, and think the damage they are charged with is greatly exaggerated but the story of how they got here is just absurd. At least Iguanas are pretty limited by climate.

mwood322

AC Members
I love my Leopard Geckos, they are awesome pet reptiles, though my Corn Snakes come a close second...

I have 1 High Yellow Male Leopard someone dumped where I worked, and 2 Patternless, 1 male, and 1 undecided baby. I've also got a pair of crested geckos, and a Fat Tail. Two corn snakes, a ball python, a ribbon snake, and a whites tree frog fill up my reptile room.

I would love to set up a room for an iguana, or failing that a whole room for my cockatiel. I always feel bad that she doesn't get to fly as much as she would like.

--Mia

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
I bred Leopard Geckos for a few years, about 7 years ago. I miss them, but not for long. I took down my 40 gallon tank and setting up for Leopard Geckos again, at least thats the plan. I will going to a Reptile show this weekend, I have not been to one in ages, maybe something else will catch my eye.

I have a page on my Leopard Geckos I used to breed here:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/geckos.html

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
mwood322 said:
I love my Leopard Geckos, they are awesome pet reptiles, though my Corn Snakes come a close second...

I have 1 High Yellow Male Leopard someone dumped where I worked, and 2 Patternless, 1 male, and 1 undecided baby. I've also got a pair of crested geckos, and a Fat Tail. Two corn snakes, a ball python, a ribbon snake, and a whites tree frog fill up my reptile room.

I would love to set up a room for an iguana, or failing that a whole room for my cockatiel. I always feel bad that she doesn't get to fly as much as she would like.

--Mia
Tell me about your corn snakes!? They are what got me solidly into the reptile hobby as an adult. I still have a special place in my heart for them, and of course, all the colors and patterns out there mean you can match them with any outfit!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
norm3000 said:
Are there any small to medium sized lizards that don't require live food? I've always liked the leopards but I am really not interested in handling crickets or other insects.
Well, leopards can get to about 8-10 inches in length, and are a little stout. They are probably in the size range you'd prefer. About feeding live food, I have to feed mine live crickets because she won't eat anything else, I've tried. I have heard some individuals can be conditioned to eat other types of food, but this species is primarily insect eaters, so that may be a bit of a wall to overcome for you.

If I may suggest, Crested Geckos could be what your looking for. hey are roughly the same size as leopards, and they can be conditioned to eat non-live foods. Let me get out an old issue of Reptiles Magazine. They had an article on these guys.

They can attain total length of 10 inches. Life expectancy is anywhere from 10-20 years. There are a few nice colors to choose from. They are also omnivorous and relish non-citrus fruits such as banana, peach, apricot, and will also eat fruit flavored baby foods. They can eat live prey, but can live without it just fine. I would strongly encourage you to do plenty research on whatever species you decide to keep. A good place to start is kingsnake.com, and go from there to other sources that will offer more help. Good luck. :)

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Boy I miss having herps.

Over here, the only real things that we have are common geckos, big anoles, and the Hawaiian snake which is basicly a worm snake. Not yet concidered established by state are Gold dust day geckos. If you ask me though, they are established.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store