got2envy's 20H with kitty litter clay background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
aww, these are cute frogs. I would have wanted to keep but I heard they were poisonous? and awesome setup

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Sweet darts!

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
aww, these are cute frogs. I would have wanted to keep but I heard they were poisonous? and awesome setup
They are only poisonous in the wild.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
oh, I didn't know that xD

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Thanks guys!

Yes poison dart frogs are poisonous in the wild because of the insects that they eat in the wild, since we do not feed these insects in the home vivaria they are not poisonous.
In the wild even if u touched one the most you will get is a rash.
The poison would have to make contact with your blood (like a open cut), which is why the rain forest natives use them on dart tips to penetrate the poison into the skin and into the blood stream of the mammals that they hunt.
Frogs do not bite so the only way you will be poisoned is if you ingest the frog like a predator would...another reason why they come in such bright colors is to tell predators to beware.

HTH

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Beautiful set-up and frogs! Someday when I'm in a place where I'm not already pushing it with 3 tanks I'm going to set up a tank for dendrobates leucomelas (the orange variation, not yellow.) Those are my favorite and they don't get as big as a lot of the more popular ones. Of course then I have to have my own fly cultures and I HATE cleaning out fly jars. I guess since it would be on a small scale it wouldn't be too bad though.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Thanks!
yes leucs are very cool!

I use disposable plastic containers...I purchase the FF pack from joshsfrogs.com makes it easy :)

FF really are no worse than crickets, and cheaper :p

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
When I get them I'm using glass jars with sponge stoppers for simplicity. Where I volunteer we have 3 racks of them with like 70 jars per row and 24 get cleaned every week and rotated out with 24 new ones made.It is my least favorite job there, let me tell you! Worth it for the cute frogs though. Thanks for that link, got some really nice stuff there!

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Hello! So here is my 20H a few months later...still going strong...my Azureus are getting big!!

and my tadpole is now a froglet with a 10g all to himsef :)

Thanks for looking!
Maria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store