got2envy's 46 Bow front with DIY foam/rockwall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Nope, "Great Stuff" has been getting more and more popular the last few years in reef tanks.. I am still scared to use it myself because of the "unknowns" but I have not heard one negative from using it and I know people who have tanks running for over 2 years now with a back wall completely made of "great stuff foam".

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
that looks nice, how did you get the sand to stick to the greatstuff? is that what the epoxy was for?
Yes that is what the Epoxy is for, I used a brand called Devcon 5 min epoxy :)
Nice beginning! Congrats!
Thanks!

Wow... what a creative idea! I've seen this done many times in FW but never for a reef tank. I love how you've hidden the in-tank filter; you'll end up with such a clean look.

BTW- I'm drooling over my mental picture of how the rock wall will look once it's covered in coralline! :D
I to can't wait to see it up and running :dance:
Amazing work!
Thank You!
Looks nice! Can't wait to see it up and running and hear your review on how it works "wet". I know I spent many nights coming up with ideas for my tank and you never quite know just how it will work out until you get it wet.
I fell in love with a tank on RC, the guy is from the UK and was the first to try the foam/rock wall and it was so beautiful i had to give it a shot..his tank is still up and running almost 3 years later

I did'nt know you could put "Great stuff" in a tank. Doe's it not leach out toxins? Other than that, it is badass!
yes, once it is cured it is ok..some also use Bekkets pond foam which is black and resistant to UV

Thanks everyone! :thm:

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
That is exactly what happened..it also has some magnetic particles in it..got home from work, the light was out I decided to give it a quick swipe with the mag float, the next morning when the light was on I looked at the tank and I almost passed out lol
I used tahitian moon sand black with a mix of Seachems black beach sand

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
So I checked my wall today and there are still some places that the epoxy feels a little tacky on the second piece prob where we touched up. I am gonna let the pieces sit in the sun for a few hours and then add the water, run carbon and a skimmer for at least a week before adding any livestock..better to be safe than sorry in this hobby :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store