goyder river rainbows and kribs(sorry, long post)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
so last oct. there was an LFS here that was moving to a new location and was having a sale. i picked up what i believe to be a pair(m-f) of goyder river rainbows for a nice price. the male is bigger than the female. female more slender than the male.

i bring them home and put them in my 55g community(see specs) which also houses a pair of kribs. initially, everybody gets along great.

about a week into it, the male goyder starts getting into some real knock-down-drag-outs with the male krib, but usually only during the morning hours.

the rainbow takes a beating from the krib, but is relentless in going back after the krib, which really seems to frustrate the krib to no end.

one night thereafter, i get a call at work(i work 3rd shift) and its my wife telling me that the rainbow went berzerk and started pounding the krib. she said it had corralled both kribs into their stump and she thought it was going to kill the krib, so she took it out and put it in my sons 10g that houses 4 small tiger barbs and a small yoyo loach. all this happens in oct.

fast forward to the present. the rainbow has been in the 10g since oct. it gets along wonderfully with its tankmates and the other rainbow(still in the 55g where she has been all along) is in perfect harmony with her tankmates as well. i know the 10g is far too small for the rainbow and im embarrassed that ive kept him in there as long as i have. im hoping that his stay in 'solitary' has subdued him some and i want to move him back into the 55.

i finally broke down last night and did it. the female rainbow, now as big or bigger than the male rainbow, colored up immediately like you wouldnt believe. she was absolutely gorgeous. fins extended and the whole 9 yards. the male rainbow remained pale for a little while, but eventually colored up as well, equally beautiful.

the entire time he was acclimating himself, he did so in the vacinity of the kribs breeding stump, but all the fish in the tank were swarming it as well, and the kribs really didnt seem to mind.

the rainbows began what i think may be breeding behavior, swimming very close to one another, somewhat sideways at times and swimming around in very tight fast circles around each other.

all this was occuring directly above the kribs stump and im guessing the male krib decided he didnt like it at all. he cam out of his stump puffed up like ive never seen him before and started going after both the rainbows, but moreso towards the male.

the rainbows werent very happy about this, but didnt seem concerned enough to stop what they were doing. both rainbows lost a couple of scales by the krib and finally i turned out the lights which calmed everybody down for the night.

the kribs stump is at one end of the 55g, but they didnt want to seem to want to leave that end. i have a floating plant at the top of the other end, which i thought the rainbows would go to after the run in with the krib. this morning they seem to be staying at their own ends of the tank, and if theyll stay this way, i may be able to keep them together. the kribs rarely ever leave their side of the tank even when they arent breeding. the female krib roams around more than the male, but she's not the threat here.

does anybody here have any experience with keeping these 2 species together? im rather surprised at the behavior ive seen between the 2 of them. when the rainbows are split up, theres no problems at all with the kribs, but 2 together is a different story. do goyder river rainbows become aggressive when breeding?

sorry so long, but thanks for any info/advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store