Gravel on top of flourite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
r/o is reverse osmosis. it's a type of filter that can pretty much take everything out... the good and the bad.

there are a lot of other ways. there is even another chemical that is suggested to add on plantedtank.net. i am not sure just 4dkh is exactly what your looking for and maybe that's why so many other people who make their own have issues. maybe it's just because the values are slightly off yet still read as 4dkh. to be very accurate you'd want to know ppm (parts per million). i do not have or use a drop checker and i feel i must say that just in case.

in any case if the other chemical is not necessary what i posted will work. i found the .48 tsp posted by tom barr somewhere and tested it and it's definitely on point. after that it's just 4/5 to get a 4 from a 5... grade school math. that's the reasoning behind the 1 cup and 1/4 cup.

definitely make sure your volumes are correct. measure from the bottom of the miniscus at eye level. don't forget to make sure your r/o or distilled water tests at 0dKH before you start anything.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
good deal i'm looking forward to hearing how things turn out for you. if it works well i might just get a drop checker myself... or make one... hehehe. :evil_lol:

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i just wanted to mention 5 gallons of water will run you about $5. if you have some large, clean coolers and a massive rain storm you will most likely collect 5 gallons of 0dKH water for free. then you just follow instructions and all you have to pay for (assuming you're gonna have the test already) is baking soda. just don't use anything dirty or degradable to "funnel" water into the coolers and you should be fine. also make sure your coolers seal well when you close them if you want to keep the water around for a couple days. i would not attempt to keep it around for more than 3 days... that's when molds and whatnot start to colonize. seems like a lot of trouble but it's really easy and free if you have the tools available to you. it just keeps getting cheaper with me. :dance2:

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
yes... but measuring spoons are not perfect. neither are the people who use them. the more volume you do the more likely you are to be on point. and yes rain is evaporated (naturally distilled) and reads 0dKH AND 0dGH. nothing else in it for the most part. mine comes out to a ph of 6.4. 4dKH should net you closer to if not 7 for a ph.

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ok lets just say I was going to use 5 pints of dis. water...I add 1/16 tsp of baking soda, then what do I do? I'm lost at that part.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
all the quantities listed make 5dKH. with any of them you will need to take 1 cup of your solution and 1/4 cup of 0dKH. that is what gives you your 4dKH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store