Gravel Vacuums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's possible to make or buy solutions here.. But most people do not need to.

but, if you need, you could also consider something like :-

http://www.eheimna.com/products/detail/Quick-Vac-pro

or

http://www.amazon.com/Pennplax-Aquarium-Air-Vac-Gravel-Cleaner/dp/B0002APYBI

too much visible detritus could be a result of overfeeding, or insufficient filtration (Or maybe water flow)

Just to add to Doug's suggestions, I've also seen an off the shelf "gravel vac" system that looked like a HOB filter, with a suction hose for vacuuming.

Like said, though, you want to merge your gravel vac with your (more important) weekly water change.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just to add to Doug's suggestions, I've also seen an off the shelf "gravel vac" system that looked like a HOB filter, with a suction hose for vacuuming.
psssst.....

something powered that will handle gravel vacuuming without changing water..... I'd likely go with the Cobalt power gravel cleaner (linked) or a Magnum filter (HOT or Canister) with the available gravel vac attachment, I wouldn't waste my money on one of the air or battery powered ones.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gee, us old guys just siphon, with a basic vacuum, to get the crud out & use gallon jugs (milk, vinegar etc) to refill with appropriate dechlor added. Your making this way too hard on such a small tank. Think of it as an upper body exercise & be done with it. No python needed, although, with several tanks it's much faster...though less aerobic exercise, lol. No excuses not to do water changes even here in the drought stricken desert. Can't you afford 3 or 4 gallons of water a week? Save it to flush your toilet if you feel guilty or water your outdoor plants.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
On the initial question, I agree with everyone else. You should vacuum the substrate during the weekly water change, replacing the removed water with fresh, conditioned of course (dechlorinator, or whatever you need in your situation). The "old" water is not good for fish, no matter how much detritus.

On the discussion of python vs buckets and tank size, I can see value in either method. I now use my Python on all tanks, including my 10g and 20g, though I must be very careful filling as they fill very fast. And I have a 75-foot Python because the laundry room tap is at the other end of the house from the fish room. Sometimes I end up almost jogging. I used to use a pail on the 10g, but gave that up after surgery last year when I couldn't lift it, and now I am used to the Python even on this tank.

Byron.
Byron --

I came across this thread because it actually touched on something I had asked in my own thread a couple of subjects down, and I hope you are still monitoring it because I had a question for you...

You mentioned you have a 75-foot python -- this sounds like something I could definitely use, as we're a far ways away from our nearest sink as well...can you tell me where you got yours?

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Never mind -- I came across the PYTHON 100-foot (and 75-foot) water maintenance system after doing some Googling, and it seems it's just what I need...now I gotta cough up the 100 bucks!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Never mind -- I came across the PYTHON 100-foot (and 75-foot) water maintenance system after doing some Googling, and it seems it's just what I need...now I gotta cough up the 100 bucks!
I bought an extension which is 25 feet in length. The initial Python had two 25-foot lengths, which worked fine in my condo. But after I moved into the house, I needed more so I bought another 25-foot extension.

I guess they now come in different lengths, unless the 100-foot are just 25-foot sections connected. If you already have 50 feet, a 25-foot extension will likely be much less expensive than the entire unit.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I ran a pond and aquarium service for ten years. I cleaned tanks from 10 gal up to 300 gallon. I had to be able to adapt to every situation so I had a standard python, another that was extended to 75' and another that was extended to 150' which was rolled onto a portable hose reel. Extensions were accomplished using tubing and nylon barb fittings purchased at Lowe's.

Mark

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Thank you both; I do not actually have any Python right now, so I'd be starting from scratch...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store