Green Carpet Anemone Help/advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
denitrification: set up a refugium with a 4-5 inch sandbed, and wait for denitrifying bacteria to build up.

clowns: optunistic feeders :p:

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
not enough light for a carpet. maybe you should have went with bubble tip or long tentacle. carpet little harder, care level wise. if you went with the green carpet for looks, a rose bubble tip looks just as nice. if you want to know some cheap places to find vho or mh let me know i will give you links.

my perc tries to push scarlet hermits towards their bubble anemone. maybe your fish and anemone are having rent disputes.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Aescleah said:
you anemone is not near any coral are they they may be stinging eachother

Ashley
nah. a carpet would pretty much own anything you put in there.

as far as the bubble burning, it wasnt necessarily burning. It could have just been getting used to the tank. But if could have very well been burning. If that is the case, it was jsut getting used to the PCs because it was probably under less at the LFS. 4-96 watt PCs is not a lot of light at all for a 100 gallon tank. (by the way, each tube is not 96 watts, but each bulb that plugs in). I was going to put the same thing over my 40 breeder, but went MH instead.

to get rid of your nitrates, a refugium would be best, but just doing water changes every week instead of every 2-3 would probably help a lot. what do you ahve as far as a protein skimmer?

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I have an in-line skimmer, with a pump inside my sump. It does a pretty good job. I also have a chiller and keep the water temp at an avg. 75.5.

384 watts gives me a ratio of 3.84, I have heard that the preferred wattage to gallons is somewhere in the 4 to 5 range. I have no way of increasing my light at this time. I will just have to live with it for now.

I am going to keep away from carpets from now on. Everything I read about them seems like they are almost impossible to keep. From reading different posts on this site, seems like a BTA would be far easier, compared to the carpet.

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
just type in metal halide or lighting. i had 2 links to a place but it was on old computer.

just e-bay it
i seen some good prices on some mh there. personally i like to see someone when i buy something. :argue:

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Update on this situation:

Well, the green carpet croaked, as expected I guess, there goes $70.00. I got it out of my tank quick before it could nuke everything.

I have a purple tipped Haitian anemone, I have had it for some time. My perc clowns would never go into it, that is why I tried a carpet. The percs immediately hosted in the carpet. Now that the carpet has met its demise, the percs are now, just in the last 2 days, starting to host in the Haitian anemone, I guess they just needed to host after having hosted in the carpet for about two months.

Weird. I wish they would have hosted in it before, could have saved $70.00! Haitain anemones are way cheaper!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store