green hair algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
What exactly is your nitrate reading? Having absolutely no nitrate is pretty much unrealistic, unless you have a good amount of denitrification going on in your tank via live rock, a 3" or deeper sand bed etc.

Also, what species of fish do you have? That could be part of the problem eg. if you have 4 violotan lions in there(this is theoretical - I don't know if this would work nor do I think it would work), I have no doubt in my mind that you will get and have some serious algae problems.

AND, if you go with csloo's tang solution, be careful and do your research before hand - some tangs will rarely if ever eat algae, while others are excellent algae eaters; some get relatively huge and too big for your aquarium, others stay around the 8 inch range.

csloo

AC Members
Jul 20, 2005
gomrjoe said:
Question on this, to anyone:

Shutting down the lights in your tank for 1 week, does this really work? and, more importantly, what about the fish and the corals that are in the tank? Such as xenia, star polyps, and yellow colony polyps, won't the light not being on for an entire week hurt them?

Help please... my hair algae problem is not going away in my tank, and my phosphates are undetectable and my nitrates are < 20. I think the algae in my tank continues to grow because I have not been able to get it all.

Please help, and thanks.
From my experiment on it, i have encounter no problems. But to make sure it's safe, i only recommended for fish only tank of this method. For reef tank, you need to cook ur LR for a clean solutions.

Bro, undetectable phosphates and nitrates doesn't mean that your silicates also undetectable. To fight against hair algae, we really to get a real patient. IF you dont mind, you can get yourself an UV lighting.

csloo

AC Members
Jul 20, 2005
dorkfish said:
What exactly is your nitrate reading? Having absolutely no nitrate is pretty much unrealistic, unless you have a good amount of denitrification going on in your tank via live rock, a 3" or deeper sand bed etc.

Also, what species of fish do you have? That could be part of the problem eg. if you have 4 violotan lions in there(this is theoretical - I don't know if this would work nor do I think it would work), I have no doubt in my mind that you will get and have some serious algae problems.

AND, if you go with csloo's tang solution, be careful and do your research before hand - some tangs will rarely if ever eat algae, while others are excellent algae eaters; some get relatively huge and too big for your aquarium, others stay around the 8 inch range.
opps, at my country, ppl at here are prefer blue tang, yellow tang and purple tang in their tank. :) But for me, i more stick with mimic ebli tang.... :Angel:

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I have a UV sterlizer, it was just out of commission for about two months, that is how this mess started. I have since gotten my UV back online.

I have a silicate/phosphate sponge medium in my sump that works pretty well.

I split my rock into two groups, one I scrubbed with a toothbrush and rinsed, and placed back in the tank. The other half I have sitting in an old garbage can with a powerhead in the garage, with no light.

I did this because I heard that the boiling thing kills all of the bacteria, and I also read where the scrubbing thing also kills a lot of the beneficial bacteria. So to be safe I split and used two different methods.

There were 3 rocks that I could not scrub or take out, those were rocks that had my corals attached. I am letting my cleanup crew attack those. Hopefully with those 3 rocks being the only thing with juicy food on them, it will eventually attract them! There are a bunch of crabs on one of them now, so hopefully that theory will hold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store