Green spotted puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Those guys are 6", BTW. I kept them in a 55g & re-homed them because they needed more swimming room.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
how big are you willing to go with the tank? however big they need I presume...

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
30g minimum for ea but I think they'd prefer larger than that.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
hm, well are they your favorite puffer?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You'll need a minimum of 120g & they eat tank mates.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
THEY EAT TANKMATES? AWW...well I will see what I can do

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
You might have been confusing figure 8 puffers for green spotted puffers. Figure 8s can survive in freshwater as long as the hardness and pH are quite high. The best way to get those levels is to make it a very low-end brackish tank by adding marine salt and using crushed coral or aragonite sand as a substrate.

The green spotted puffer (GSP), on the other hand, is born in freshwater/low-end brackish and gradually moves into higher and higher salinities as they get older until they arrive at near marine conditions. Pufferpunk already addressed their size requirements. They get much larger than most people think, and they are quite aggressive (no tankmates other than maybe other GSPs with a large enough tank!).

If you want to stick with freshwater, then you could consider one of the true freshwater puffers like dwarf puffers, which you could easily have several in a 20g with enough decor (they need to be able to get away from each other and need a ratio of several females for each male).

Here's a link to a page with freshwater puffers. Click on the pictures to open the profiles, and you will find tank size requirements there. And here's a link to an article on feeding puffers. These are both to The Puffer Forum, which pufferpunk owns. She definitely knows her stuff!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store