Green Water FRUSTRATION!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
oka so you have ~3wpg of light on top of that thing, you dose flourish 1x/week and flourish excel 1x/week.

a few things to note. you with that much light you need to dose your carbon every day or go for a presurized or a diy system and supplement it every so many days with excel. keep your flourish dosing the same until your green water is solved but then you will probably want to go to daily dosing of flourish until you are out of the stuff and then pick up some dry ferts they are much cheaper and will last much much longer....
Dry Ferts? Like Flourish Tabs or something else? I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me and I'm sucking up all this great info like a shamwow towel lol

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
This is definitely fish-wearing-sunglasses territory, so algae of one kind or another is going to be an issue. You need to inject CO2 at this sort of light level unless you're very lucky.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
This is definitely fish-wearing-sunglasses territory, so algae of one kind or another is going to be an issue. You need to inject CO2 at this sort of light level unless you're very lucky.
Should I consider selling this fixture and getting a lower wattage light, like a fluorescent setup? The one problem is that the top only is an wide as a 10 and limiting to the fixtures that can be purchased.

I don't know much about CO2 setups, I don't use it in my 10 gallon planted (which granted is only approx 1.5 WPG). The CO2 setups I see on Fosters and smith and other sites like that are very expensive, and as far as a DIY setup with yeast, how efficient are they and does it produce a yeasty odor? Can a paintball gun CO2 canister be used as a source of CO2?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I understand there are paintball gun based systems in the US. I bought a complete kit for £100 the other week (the way things are going that's probably close to $100 for you, and anyway difference in prices means that dollars and pounds are pretty close in purchasing power anyway), and it can be done more cheaply if you have the time to source the components separately.

DIY CO2 doesn't smell because it has to be gastight by definition, but I found the constant variation in output rate a pain.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I had it in my ten gallon, i did 3 water changes a week and left the tank light off ( did not cover it) its in an erea that is naturally dark so no covering needed. but I did complete gravel vacs, and 70% water changes and my problem was gone in 2 weeks naturally. never came back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store