Green Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
so how do i eliminate the cause.
I can't get live plants either b/c Plecy the pleco destroys them and it really messes up my tank.
I don't understand why this happened. I havent changed anything i have been doing. This tank has been set up for a year and the same fish were in a smaller tank before that with no problems.

by the way, i remembered my tetras are black phantoms and glo-lites.

thanks

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
so how do i eliminate the cause.

#1. Algea blooms are typically caused by an imbalance or excess of nutrients in the tank. combine this with light and the result is green water. Frequent, big water changes will help bring the nutrient level under control while the algea is being killed. Vaccum well (fairly deeply) if you don't have a planted tank
Essentially control the nutrients with more frequent water changes and vaccuming. Also control light levels, and better filtration will help, but remember that "mulm in the filter cartriges will still equate to nutrients in your tank, better filtration simply puts the waste in an easy to remove space. Wash out you filter cartriges (in tank water) at every water change to get as much waste out of the tank as possible. With no plants, you really want to strip your tank of nutrients. With your Pleco controlling algea, there is nothing to eat u the nutrients, so they build up and BLOOM you have green water.

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
so i have had my tank in total darkness for 2 days and i have done a 50% water change a day for the past 3 days. I tested my h20 and i have
10-nitrate
0-nitrite
0- ammonia
6.8 pH

how long should i keep the tank in the dark?
when should i begin feeding them again?

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I personally would give it at least 4 days, sounds like you parramiters are in good shape, I would continue to do water changes. and just make sure the green water is cleared very well.

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Originally posted by Richer

Clean out all your mechanical filters, and do a 50% water change. Put in airstones, raise the spraybars of your filters, etc. to increase the surface aggitation of your tank.
What does the increased surface agitation do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store