Greenwater and/or Infusoria for fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Anyone using either of these? Curious as to how it is working for your fry guys. I'm looking to one or both for my next round of testing. I've found information on how to culture them, but haven't really noticed anything by way of actual feeding.

If you have info you care to share on either, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thx,
J.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
James, since both greenwater and infusoria stay mainly in the water column, I don't think you'd find them real useful with the oto fry. If it were me, I'd try microworms before I'd try either of those two simply because microworms will end up on the substrate, the tank bottom, the plants and leaves and decos......everywhere where they can easily be "sucked up"

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I have raised it - took water from my ponds, put it in gallon jar w/some turnip cubes (google infusoria and turnips) and an air stone (didn't on the first try and it turned nasty) and it worked. I raised my first batch of GBR fry w/it. Hasn't worked since? I can raise the infusoria but I haven't been able to keep the fry alive. I am going the moss route now myself. I have some the same gallon jar w/a plant light and some snails. I have some GBR free swimmers in a hatchout jar right now and I stuffed a bunch of moss in with them. They seem to be doing fine and I am feeding micro worms in addition to what they are finding in them moss. Got my fingers crossed. I think the combo of moss a/micro worms may be my answer - I hope.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Lots and lots of moss is really key for a lot of fry. I keep a piece of driftwood covered in moss (kinda yucky looking actually with algae growing in it and it looks kinda dirty......hard on our eyes, but good for fry! Once my cory eggs hatch, I place the newly hatched fry right into the middle of the moss. I'll see them about 2 weeks later, doing through the substrate. Moss can hold a whole lot more munchies than an average aquarium plant.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks. Think I'm going to settle instead by using a piece of DW in a bowl of water outside for a few days.

As for the moss...I have a nice plump wall of sueswassertang. It is fun to watch the fry guys move in and out of there.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
yeah its not hard to make. you can also get established water samples from other peoples greenwater. ask around your area. i make it for daphnia

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Also hard boiled egg yolk - take a little dab, mix with water, stir it around, suck up with a dropper and spot feed. Very polluting but an old fashioned staple. Hikari also makes frozen baby brine shrimp and daphnia that you can spot feed with a baster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store