Greg's Return to Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I would not use the Crushed coral type of substrate(bottom gravel) it will do nothing for you but raise the nitrates. Go with an aquarium sand sugar sized it looks more natural and will be more beneficial in the end

Buy live rock it will pay off, I promise!
If you use live rock you can just use some power heads and a good skimmer for filtration, you will not need those filers.

Are you keeping corals or just fish?
Any other questions?
Well, as I stated above, this was just a buy off Cragislist. Maybe I didn't save anything and have a lot of stuff that should just go in the garbage can. Oh well, live and learn. I have to see what's available in the sand you talk about. Pet Smart has something called CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand in 40 lb bags. I'm still trying to figure out that protein skimmer, how they work and where you place them. I'd like to take as much of the equipment out of sight and in the stand as possible.

I forgot to mention this also has the full bottom filter. Should I keep that or ditch it too?

I'll get another power head for water movement. This 402 pumps about 270 GPH. I can get live rock for $250 - $4.00 a pound.

I hope to have a mixed animal aquarium when I'm all set up and running.

Thansk for your input.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
For future reference do you have a Petsmart near you? If you do ditch the heater,and go online to Petsmart.com and print out the stealth 200 watt heater for $20.00. Go to Petsmart with printout and they will match their online price in the store. Same with salt. Are you going Reef or Fish Only With Liverock? Those filters could be used. In saltwater you need filtration that can turn the tank over 10x an hour. My suggestion is get your hands on as much info you can and read. It's alot different than it was thirty years ago. i know I am from that era. It's alot easier to keep the animals alive now.
Yup, I do have a Pet Smart close by. I was looking at the heaters and it's was funny, on the web site the 250 watt is cheaper than the 200. Go figure that one out. LOL I can get live rock at a pretty good price but I'm not close to needing that yet. If I use the 2 filters I have I can get something like 560 gph turnover rate. With another power head I can get 540 gph of water flow. What are you using for a thermometer? I sure don't want to chill or cook whatever I put in there. I've been reading through this and a couple of other forums to gain all the knowledge I can before I even think about placing this tank and setting it up. Thanks for your information.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Well, as I stated above, this was just a buy off Cragislist. Maybe I didn't save anything and have a lot of stuff that should just go in the garbage can. Oh well, live and learn. I have to see what's available in the sand you talk about. Pet Smart has something called CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand in 40 lb bags. I'm still trying to figure out that protein skimmer, how they work and where you place them. I'd like to take as much of the equipment out of sight and in the stand as possible.

I forgot to mention this also has the full bottom filter. Should I keep that or ditch it too?

I'll get another power head for water movement. This 402 pumps about 270 GPH. I can get live rock for $250 - $4.00 a pound.

I hope to have a mixed animal aquarium when I'm all set up and running.

Thansk for your input.
Ditch the undergravel filer it wont work with sand. You don't need to buy the live sand just get some dry argonite sand, sugar size looks best and most natural in my opinion. If you go with live rock you would not need to se a filter, you would just have to make sure you have 10X turnover using powerheads. If you wanted to use the hang on the back filters for flow just don't put any media in them. As far as using live rock for filtration the general consensus is 1 pound per gallon of both rock and sand. So looking at 55 lbs of live rock and 55 lbs of sand. Do you have a sump in the stand? I could help talk you through getting a sump set up in the stand to hold your heater, and skimmer, however this is not necessary, as you could just buy a hang on the back skimmer. If you click on my link in my signature you can see the sump I created for under 100 bucks for my 75.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
What is the drawback of using bleach?
If you don't get it rinsed properly and thoroughly this could cause your tank to fail from the beginning, not a risk I would be willing to take.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Skimmers remove dissolved organic nutrients from the water, before the nitrogen cycle is allowed to convert them. Nitrogen cycle= from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Ammonia converted to nitrite and then to nitrate buy the beneficial bacteria in the live rock. Nitrate however must be removed by water changes. So in theory the skimmer removes the organics prior to being converted = less nitrates in the end because less to be converted by bacteria. Skimmers mix micro-bubbles with the water. The organics stick to the bubbles and are pushed up into a collection cup thus removing them from the water. In my collection cup I have to empty daily about a 1/2 cup of coffee looking junk that the skimmer has removed from the water. Once again inf you look in my pics you can see the skimmer full of nasty.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
The only pet store I have close is Pet Smart and they have CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor reef sand. Will that work? They also have live sand. I can get another 402 power head and that should turn the water more than 10x an hour. I have no sump at this time. If I can hide everything as much as possible in the stand I would really like to do that. I could then set the tank closer to the wall. You've got some nice looking fish there. Maybe one of these months/years I can be up to that level.

What skimmer will hang on the back? I'm headed out to Pet SMart for another power head and some sand in about an hour. What else should I look at? Thermometer? Hydrometer? I'll get a new heater while I'm there.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Live sand will work it is just a lot more costly. Any argonite sand will be fine.
i would order the skimmer online, as it is not necessary to get the tank cycling. i will look up a few for you.
Remember when you get a skimmer that you get what you pay for. Cheap is not always a good thing. I would make sure I got a skimmer that was capable of doing at least 110 gallon tnak. I would get my sand water and live rock in first keep good flow but do not use filter media as it will not be necessary. The tank will be very cloudly for the first 2-3 days while waiting for the sand to settle this is normal, dont worry. I use the aqua medic Turbo Flotor 1000 Multi SL, it can be used as a hang on the back, or in a sump, I bought mine online for 199.00 i had to shop around a little to find it, but they usually sell around 230.00 and include the pump. The good thing about them is that if you decide to build a sump eventually, you can change it and still use it down there. You would not need to buy another one. When thinking about the price, remember a little more money now will save you in the long run.

Last edited:

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, I guess I'll get the thing set up and running and then worry about the skimmer at a later date. I did a search for that skimmer and the cheapest I could find was $21.95 + shipping. eBay!

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
Well, I guess I'll get the thing set up and running and then worry about the skimmer at a later date. I did a search for that skimmer and the cheapest I could find was $21.95 + shipping. eBay!
Is it a bid for a used one?
No livestock until your cycle is complete!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store