Ground cover plants aren't growing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Start adding modest amounts of ferts and don't let the CO2 crap out on you as this will promote lots of algae. Better alternatives would be steady light dosing of Excel instead of DIY CO2 (less likely to get algae going) or pressurized CO2.

In heavy doses (1mL/5g or more), Excel can start to melt vals and impede growth in bryophytes. At 1mL/10g, you should have no such problems.

Also - ground cover plants take time. If they look OK and arent' spreading, they're rooting. Once finished, they'll take off and you'll be trying to sell HM by the pound on here (just like me).

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Yeah, the plants are still green and healthy, its just that they aren't growing. I've wanted to do dry ferts, but they seem a little confusing to me. Should I just dose Excel to a half amount, dose some other liquid fertilizer at full strength, or should I just get dry ferts and learn about them? Is there a source for dry ferts that are already mixed? This is a 30 gallon tank BTW.

Manzanitadude

The driftwood guy
Dec 22, 2007
Northern Arizona
A bit more light and steady Co2 would be my guesses. Understand the more light you add (to a point) the more you will need regular Co2. 2.2 WPG is on the low light side for ground cover.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I have had dwarf hair grass and glosso in my 2 watts/gal tanks grow well for a few weeks and then slowly die off. I think these plants were still cranking from the ferts they were getting from the growers and just ran themselves out looking for more light.

Q

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Okay, I looked at Excel and Flourish, and they both cost about $8 around here, so I think I will go with dry ferts. Problem is, I have no idea how to use them, mix them up, or dose them. Can somebody either tell me or show me a link that explains everything about dry ferts and a place to buy them at?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Okay, I looked at Excel and Flourish, and they both cost about $8 around here, so I think I will go with dry ferts. Problem is, I have no idea how to use them, mix them up, or dose them. Can somebody either tell me or show me a link that explains everything about dry ferts and a place to buy them at?
You can actually do both, EI is the easiest method, imo. It doesnt get easier than this, and the measurements are dry quantities btw.

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Thanks Riiz, that link helped a lot. I just need to find where ferts are sold, the links in the link didn't turn up any sources.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store