Growing a Mango from seed project.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hello Everyone. Been awhile since I have posted in this section. I had posted my garden about 2 years ago but since there have been no updates and well reason being is cause my garden looked all messed up. Didn't help that the neighbors keep getting rats and they jump the fence to eat my more delicate succulents before heading back to there side for the day. I have begun cleaning up my little patch of garden and now in the process of trying to sell off the bulk of my plants.
er
Well I have made some new purchases one being a Meyers Lemon Tree and a Moro Blood Orange Tree and for my mom I bought her a Chandlers Pummelo Tree. All are well citrus tree so should do good here in this Southern California climate. We use to have an Orange Grove about 3 blocks away where I live now so should do good. Well my mom has always wanted a Mango Tree. I did a little video watching on YouTube and decided it should be easy enough to do and won't cost me a cent. Mango's came from my sisters in-laws friend so Mango and the seed within are free.

My empty 6" pot. I got many of these just empty stored away.

2 Coffee Filter Liners. These I got from my mom. Use to be for her old coffee maker but now we have no need for them so there mine.

Mango Seed. The hairy casing was removed already by me.

2 Coffee Filter Liners to the bottom of the pot.

Now with some soil added. I have allot of soil I bought for my succulents. It's Kellog's Cactus soil just encase your wondering. Far better then the over fertilized junk Miracle Grow sells. Liners keep soil from slowly coming out of the drain holes without need of broken pieces of clay pots. Also prevents bug from making homes inside the drain holes like certain spiders, pill bugs or earwigs.

More soil and the seed on top.

Now to finish filling with more soil.

I then watered it thoroughly let it drain then watered again just to make sure. It drains quickly with it being cactus soil. Now it's in my room and we will see if it takes or not. They say it grows fast sometimes sprouting in under a week with a 4-5" stem coming out in 2 weeks. So can't wait to see what happens.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
looks like a great start, have you checked out the dwarf mango? it only grows about 3ft and produces full size fruit...really want one for my apartment

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Ha! I just grew one from a seed last month! I really wasn't sure if it was going to work or not but it popped out about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what species it is.

970501_10153113772600223_2135334394_n.jpg

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ha! I just grew one from a seed last month! I really wasn't sure if it was going to work or not but it popped out about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what species it is.
LOL. Nice little tree you got there. Yea not sure what species of mango mine are either but don't really care at this point I'll be happy if it actually sprouts.

looks like a great start, have you checked out the dwarf mango? it only grows about 3ft and produces full size fruit...really want one for my apartment

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
No I haven't. Never even knew there was a dwarf mango tree. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up about it.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Got more mango's in the fridge waiting to be eaten so gonna try planting a second. I'll try showing pic's of that too if I can. Avacado's I just plant in the ground. Never had success with the toothpick method.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok well the day before yesterday I noticed a little stem barely showing but never took a picture cause my battery was dead. Well last night I took some pictures before going to work and just took one right now just after work and I must say they are fast growers. I know none of my succulents grow this fast.

Last Night Photos

This Morning

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Cool! Mine took a while to pop out completely.

My little mango is doing alright but I noticed that my darn chickens must have pecked at the leaves (they can never NOT investigate something new) because the one is a little torn.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yeah mine is taking no time popping out. It is completely out of the soil already. This thing grows faster then some weeds I got messing up the look of my garden. Check it out two more pictures I took just a few minutes ago.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok so from the day planted till the tree coming out fully out of the ground it took 2 weeks exactly. Well here we are 12 days later and well check out the progress this little tree has made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store