Growing not immersed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
So, some of you guys grow aquatic plants without immersing them for faster propagation and sale. I don't really care about selling any plants and I know they take time to adjust once you immerse them in your tank. Anyways, what's the method called? I'd like to speed up the propagation of some of my plants this way for setting up other tanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hydroponics.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
No Tom didn't invent it, mother nature did. Many of the plants that we use in aquaria in nature can be found in marsh/bog areas. This means that as the seasons change and water levels raise and lower with the rain the plants grow both emersed and dry.

The dry start method takes advantage of this to establish plants faster.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the dry start method if often used for carpeting plants. HC and Glosso will carpet the bottom of a tank much faster this way. Like THE V said, many of the plants we use are not underwater all of the time. This is why high lights, CO2, and lots of fets are needed to keep them alive.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Dry start! Thanks. Now I have a term to Google.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
I'm currently using the dry start method for glosso and dwarf hair grass. The glosso is growing quite well, but the hair grass growth is marginal. I am quite pleased with the glosso growth and will definitely use the DSM again for all future tanks, it's just so convenient.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Are you talking about growing emersed? I have don ea few dry starts and I like them best because the plants fill in faster. Check out the link in my sig, I have a greenhouse setup that is growing aquatic plants above water (and some below).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store