Growout and Building of my pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
Hello everyone, I am planning a largish pond build. It is outlined by white spray paint as seen below. The middle portion already dug is probably 9’x7’, so it will be up there in the 3-3.5k gallons. It continues up to the hill side on the left as well, and is probably 16’ from corner to corner. Will be 3.5’ deep.

You can seethe mound, which will be 4’ tall, will house both a waterfall and a stream. Waterfall will gradually go down by steps abs the stream will probably curve around naturally.

2638E8CE-FBFA-459B-BFEC-B2B1F9138078.jpeg
For stocking I plan 8 koi and 2 albino channel catfish. I’ll start with that and see how it goes, and then as the pond matures add other species of fish. I have no plans for brands of equipment, or the best equipment, just focusing on digging the pond. It is all by hand because I can’t get a bobcat or whatever it is in the backyard.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Could probably fit my mother-in-law in there quite nicely..

I'm KIDDING!

(mostly)

Looks great! Sounds like a nice size. What's the climate and sunlight situation?

• Haha
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
I’m located in San Diego, CA. It gets full sunlight right now, but there will be trees planted and hides in the water.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
should do very well. consider putting a deeper part, maybe 3 x 3 x4.5 ft deep hideaway in a shady area for the fish to chill in during peak summer heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store