Grrr!! Ancistrus plecos make me mad!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Today I noticed a few bites on my new Microsorum pteorus (Java fern). I'm still not 100% positive, but I guess ancistrus are to blame. I'm shocked that they chewed the bitter fern leaves, because Java is known as a plant that is not eaten by herbivorous fish! :mad: :mad:

I know that ancistrus plecos once they start eating the plant, they don't give up easily (if at all) - but does anyone has some recommendations, what should I do?

I feed them with spirulina tabs daily, and when I can, lettuce and spinach...as I cannot provide them the fresh leaves every day.
That helps a bit, but not entirely!

thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've never had mine touch any of the plants. Are these newly added ferns? Sometimes when they are unhappy, the leaves will start breaking up, and may look like it's being eaten.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Yes, the plant is still new... 10 days in my tank. But those two leaves look almost the same as those on my poor Amazon sword. I HOPE this is some acclimating process or similar, because I can fix that... but after 2.5 years I still haven't managed to learn my ancistrus to stop chewing the leaves of Amazon sword. :mad:

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I"ve never had any of my BN pelcos eat any of my plants. Are you sure he is eting the algae tabs and spinach? MAybe he sisn't getting enough to eat, I have heard of these plecos eatign plants if they aren't gettign enuogh to eat.

Maybe try feeding zuchini also, mine love it more then spinach

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Yes, that's what I heard too. In fact, it is even written in the fish book I have. But, I feed them twice a day... and their tablets (or fresh lettuce leaves) are much larger than meal that other fish get. and I can say - they poop a lot. I know that's good for the plants, because of the algae/plant content, but that's just a proof that they -eat-. ;)

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
My bristlenose likes to rasp on my broadleaf plants too.. It's annoying but at least he picks the older leaves. I'd probably have to tear the whole 55 gallon tank down to remove him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store