Guess what I got for Christmas? (not good)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
ugh, that sucks! i'm so so so sorry for your loss :( i lost a cory today and i'm super paranoid already... i don't know what i'd do if i lost my whole tank! :( best wishes with the restocking!
Thanks! Its really hard to lose fish, especially ones you are attached to. I am planning on restocking although probably not for a while. I want to focus on my plants and getting all of my tanks planted and flourishing!

Maribeth

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Ahhhh I'm so sorry to hear that! D:

At least it gives you an excuse to go and get some more fish :) what did you have in mind?
And now you're overfiltering and taking care of the fish 10x better than before, ya know it's not all bad :D

Acableguy06

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2011
NW Ohio
Sorry for your loss, I have heard of this happening from time to time from using hot water to make the water warm. Water heaters are a major source of toxins.

Here is a quote from a member on another site from quite a while ago;

"You should not do water changes straight from the tap this time of year. Cold water holds more soluble gasses, and as it warms up in the tank, they are released from solution. Some of those gasses are toxic, others simply result in gas bubble embolisms. Large water changes, such as those 50% changes you've been doing, are very risky at this time. And you should NEVER mix hot water from the tap for water changes, as water heaters are a major source of toxins. When the cold water gets colder in the winter, you add more hot water to compensate, and a higher percentage of toxins are introduced to the tank. Many "mystery" deaths can be linked to these causes after the fact.

This information came second hand, from two people who have been among the greatest fish breeders in the country, James K. Langhammer and Rosario LaCorte. Both checked these facts with chemists, and have been passing them on to those who read club magazines or attend conferences for the last 30 years or so."

Take it for what its worth too you, but I NEVER use hot water to make water warm for my tank after reading this a few years ago. I set my water out in 5 Gal buckets the day before to get to room temp.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
^^^prime detoxifies heavy metals
I am so sorry to hear this.

I've had it happen in a few tanks at different times.

Has it stormed near you recently?

I had an issue with too much rain water means the water treatment facility dumps loads of chlorine into the water. So I never change my water during or shortly after a big rainfall.
this is where i was going. doesn't just have to be rain, either. say if you have a population of wild animals that have been congregating near the waters edge laying extra fecal matter (wild boars are notorious examples of this) at the waters edge of the source your local water supply is tapped from, they'd do the same thing. the extra strong chlorine scent is a dead giveaway at these times and a higher dosage of dechlor may be necessary to combat the excess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store