Guppies dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
I have had many guppies over the years. Any guppies I have ever had have never lived to a year of age. They always have the same symptoms and die within two days of the illness. These are their symptoms: 1. Lethargicness 2. tail fins get tucked in 3. Unable to swim well 4. Dies.

We tried to raise their general hardness when two of the guppies became ill. Their general hardness is now 180. Never the less, both died. I do 20% water changes every week. I also have three white cloud minnows, a goldfish, five snails and, now, three guppies. Is this a water quality issue or a illness in the guppies?

P.s. The guppies that died were part of a shipment. There were three guppies in the shipment and one of the three is still alive. The other two came from a store.

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
Temperature: 77 degrees
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0 mg/l
nitrite: 0 mg/l
nitrate: 2.5 mg/l
GH: 120 ppm
KH: 40 mg/l

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Parameters look great. A little on the soft/acidic side with a pH of 6.8, but if that's consistent with your tap measurements, all is well.

In regards to guppy lifespan, I believe it's similar to any livebearer. A few years at very best. I've not had a guppy make it more than maybe just over a year.

Reactions: fishorama

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The water is too warm for any of the inhabitants. 70 is more than enough. It will decrease the lifespan of guppies, and other temperate and subtropical fish.
Guppies can live for like 2,5 years max but you need good stock and not have the temperature too high.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The water is too warm for any of the inhabitants. 70 is more than enough.
I don't know about the guppies, and have no interest in researching them, but this is definitely spot on for the white clouds. It's a major part of why I find them super appealing, but don't have any.

Reactions: OrionGirl
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store