Guppy and Danio compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yaddayaddayadda

AC Members
Jan 31, 2010
Fort Mill, SC
I posted this at another forum, but wanted to get some input here as well:

I currently have some neon tetras and guppies in a 10 gallon tank. Eventually (within a year) I want to upgrade to a 29 gallon tank. I had thought about adding a school of danios (say 8-10) to the guppies and tetras when I move them over, but have read conflicting stories on whether the danios and guppies would be good tank mates. Most of what I've read centers around the danios nipping the tails of the guppies.

Worst case scenario would be that I keep the guppies in the 10 gallon and just put the tetras in with some danios in the 29 gallon - or get another fish similar to the danio in appearance and temperament that wouldn't harass the guppies.

Does the size of the school of danios make a difference as far as their "aggressiveness"? What about the size of the school of guppies?

Thanks in advance.

jooranda

AC Members
May 18, 2009
uk

yaddayaddayadda

AC Members
Jan 31, 2010
Fort Mill, SC
Thanks jooranda. I know the chart says they're compatible - but just reading online has found personal experience to differ from the charts...I was just trying to get a feel for someone with experience.

iLunar

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
IME i have kept Danios with Male guppies Before and havent had problems, so i'd say its okay but that my Experience though so don't stick with my suggestion

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I kept Zebra Danios with guppies without incident and currently keep Giant Danios with Cardinal Tetras without problems.

TChizzle

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
my longfin zebra danios killed each other off. in my case, 6 of them wasnt a big enough school.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
I've kept them together with no problems (but it was 75 gallons). I think that if the Danios are in a large enough school they'll keep most of the nipping to their own species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store