Guppy Assassins?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The good news is I've come across several examples of this where the entire eco system is built so that the owner never adds a single flake of food only topping up the water levels during the summer.
That looks awesome! I'm not seeing any fish in there, but it still looks great! This not something I have the capacity to do at the moment. I have looked into adding small invertebrates like tubiflex worms for a natural food source that could conceivably reproduce fast enough to feed happy fish and aerate the soil for the plants... win, win for everybody but the inverts. I really like tetras, and it looks like I need to look at expanding my collection a bit, so thanks also for the list.

Thanks, huapala, for bringing the thread back to the original question. People are quick to judge intentions. I'm not a teenager more interested in carnage than science. I think it can be done tastefully. Nature is big fish eats little fish for the most part. I asked about Corys because SAE aren't supposed to eat shrimp, but I watched them go nuts when I dropped an unsuspecting buffet of RCS fry in the tank. It was like a sumo convention held at Golden Corral when they bring out the banana pudding.

Good info here... Thanks everyone!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
In a private conversation, an interesting point was brought up...

People tend to forget that when they feed their fish flake food, they are serving up dead fish in flake form. Fish meal isn't just a fancy way to say a meal prepared just for fish :)

(fish) food for thought

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
In a private conversation, an interesting point was brought up...

People tend to forget that when they feed their fish flake food, they are serving up dead fish in flake form. Fish meal isn't just a fancy way to say a meal prepared just for fish
There will be no logic here, ZorroNet!

Seriously though, even if all you wanted to do was breed a fish for food to other fish (taking care to maintain the "feeders" in as optimal conditions as possible), what is wrong with that? As long as you aren't trying to feed an herbivore a carnivore's diet, of course... I think finding a school fish that will snack on the fry is probably your most attractive choice. But I dunno, it's all about what you want to place in your little aquatic world.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
ZN, If you did decide to keep multiple breeding pairs of live-bearers in your tank, even with critters that will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths, some live-bearers will survive and grow. Before long the tank will overpopulate with the buggers.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
FF, you are right... I'm going to be careful how many I put in to begin with. Also, I can pay it forward and share them around if they get too crazy :) I have a small pond if all else fails... I'm in FL... it never freezes.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
yopu can get you a small Pleco there are several small plecvos 2-4 inch long that are either omnivores or carny vores and they so cuuuuute

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
yopu can get you a small Pleco there are several small plecvos 2-4 inch long that are either omnivores or carny vores and they so cuuuuute
Sorry Joe... I can't agree to the cuteness of plecos lol. This is a show tank also, so the small school would look better as others have suggested.

I have a tank to build for my niece for Christmas, and then I will be on this project. Carving styrofoam has proven to be rather time consuming... Maybe January will not be so busy that I can't take a day off and work on this. I am getting some of the guppies this weekend for my niece's tank that I will hold in one of my other tanks (glowlight tetra only) until hers stabilizes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store