Had a stroke a few months ago, im now force too call it quits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I am so sorry to here about the problems you had and are facing. I have a friend that on about 9am on March 5th she had a subarachnoid hemorrhage from a large grade 3 cerebral aneurysm rupture and she is still with us. I know that she had to sell off her 450 gallon reef but she did keep her tank and a few other items.

I cant believe how good she is doing today as in a full recovery. Deb set up her tank as a FW planted tank and she says its very theraputic and allows her to continue to enjoy her passion of fish keeping.

I understand that this is going to be a long hard road for you but just keep pushing on. I hope you can have some of the same results as Deb as in full recovery or at least as close to that as possible. I agree about keeping 1 tank as you never know how things will be down the road. I guess I am saying just dont give up things will get better and we all will be thinking of you in your hard times.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Take care, Buddy, and best of luck to you. Keep positive and focus on recovery.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
sorry to hear about it but take excuzzzeme advice it's dead on acurate, i've never had a stroke but my dad has multiple (along with other thing) and just the fact you an write this soon after is a good thing. so servive and if you really want out do so but think on it a maybey later on once you've recovered some more you might want to get back into it. good luck

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Before you quit the hobby I would hope you read this:

I had multiple strokes on 7/17/2005. I have had many more mini-strokes since then. Mini-strokes are usually not damaging but if you have too many they will and do as mine have.

Sleeping is your brain's way of taking over to heal. Your brain heals most when you are asleep. Extreme fatigue, confusion, etc are all very normal following a stroke. I would sleep between 18 and 20 hrs a day but as time progressed, I slept less. Severe headache usually is a precursor and will continue for a while after; it too is normal.

I have limited vision in my right eye, limited use of my right side and still have limited stamina 5 years later. Numbness may or may not go away, only time will tell. It will take time to heal. Healing will be a process for the rest of your life. You have a great deal of input into your recovery.

The fish hobby is my distraction and is limited to freshwater only. Having fish has helped me greatly.

Along with the physical problems, I am overwhelmed easily, can do only very basic math, have memory problems, have speech problems and reading comprehension problems. Following direction and being able to grasp abstract ideas is also near impossible. With dedication and hard work, it is getting better. As you learn to understand your limits you will find ways to compensate for them.

You will never be what you once were. It is a physical impossibility. You will need to adjust and find what you can do. Start out with easy projects and then work up to more complex as your brain allows. Push your limits but within reason. If you don't, you will never know what those limits are.

You must continually challenge yourself and do things that will force you to think and use your mind. It is hard work and will exhaust you but it will also help to heal.

No one is able to understand what you are going through and will go through. Nothing compares to it. The only people that can understand are those that are survivors. Counseling and support groups will help you to find ways to compensate. Both physical and mental rehab really do help.

Feel free to drop me a note with questions.

Most of all be a SURVIVOR! Plant that thought in your head and hang on to it.

I AM A SURVIVOR - 07/17/2005 to present.

excuzzzeme, each person effects from a stroke can vary depending on the stroke and the persons present conditions before the stroke, for I already been dealing with other disabilities before the stroke and now im worst off and everyone is saying I need much rest as possible. But of course at first I didn’t want to admit to these things right off, or I best didn’t want too acknowledge them whatsooever. Im even more disoreantated then ever before, I even most the time type two words or more and then im disoreantated again to what im trying to say, this process is extremely slow going.

Im 72 years yuodng and I was hoping that I can do this hobby to the very end, even at times I pause trying to remember what I trying to say and later I look up on my monitor and see that my finger had typed thousands of the same letter and I disnt evem know pf it until I came out of ot. I tried to type this as fast a I can so um surf that I made a great numbwr of mistkes. I might be good enough in time, im not sure how that wilk go.

Seeing that you undwestand my position perhaps better then most in the fprums, you should also know that not all return to normal befopre the stroke. As well, im wilh stress and high blood pressre medicarion. But worst of all this is the strong numbness I fell thru out my skulll, it is what has me feeling very concern to whatis to come.

But most og all, I wish to be able to fend fpr myself, I have no wish for some one else to dress me or feed me, if I cannot do for myself, im sorry to say this, but I would rather deparrt and be done with it. I do knoow however that I can still at this time have a prety good life and it is why im to take up other more simple hobbies like oil paintung and photographing, but I thing ill be oil painting more then picture taking.

Anywsy, im 72 of age, and really, im seeing this is no other choice that I could make. I cannot carry heavy items even more so then beforee the strpoke, im sorry if I made any typing errors, but I do need to close this message, I realllly need to lay down.

budddy

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I wish you best of luck in your recovery.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You are right that each person is different. Even if they have the same stroke in the same place, same severity. No two exactly are alike. In 5 years many say I have come a long way but to me it's not far enough, fast enough.

No, nothing will ever be as it was. It's just not possible. There will always be a difference. That was and is one of the hardest things for me to accept. I know I am on borrowed time but I still try to make the most of each day. I have finally graduated to not being in a wheelchair all day but walking isn't easy. It is very painful at times and I want to lay on the ground and cry. I keep getting back up and try to push through.

The loss of independence is devastating. I am not supposed to be left alone but I refuse to have a day nurse. As a result I am becoming more independent but recognize when I need help. I did agree to a body alarm as a compromise.

The numbness you feel may never go away. Time will help you to adjust to it. I still get searing knife-like pains in my brain and with time they have eased up. Medications also help. I cannot carry anything in my right hand and my right foot has foot-drop. If I were to get pulled over by the cops I would fail a drunk driving test without ever drinking.

Don't be in a hurry to make any decisions and most of all, don't give up. Please, don't give up.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You are right that each person is different. Even if they have the same stroke in the same place, same severity. No two exactly are alike. In 5 years many say I have come a long way but to me it's not far enough, fast enough.

No, nothing will ever be as it was. It's just not possible. There will always be a difference. That was and is one of the hardest things for me to accept. I know I am on borrowed time but I still try to make the most of each day. I have finally graduated to not being in a wheelchair all day but walking isn't easy. It is very painful at times and I want to lay on the ground and cry. I keep getting back up and try to push through.

The loss of independence is devastating. I am not supposed to be left alone but I refuse to have a day nurse. As a result I am becoming more independent but recognize when I need help. I did agree to a body alarm as a compromise.

The numbness you feel may never go away. Time will help you to adjust to it. I still get searing knife-like pains in my brain and with time they have eased up. Medications also help. I cannot carry anything in my right hand and my right foot has foot-drop. If I were to get pulled over by the cops I would fail a drunk driving test without ever drinking.

Don't be in a hurry to make any decisions and most of all, don't give up. Please, don't give up.

It would seem were nearly a like in conditions and self pride to do for ourselvse, but im sure you have some kind of family hel[ for your tank and I have two huge tanks with one neeeeding to totallly rbuild. I think im making this decision on two accounnnts, im soon enuogh be on a good many other medicattions, also woith all this, im 72 and I honestly beginnnning to feel that im no idea to how much lonegr I will have and even so iif im making a error on this decision, I still feel that I need to bow out from the hobby for I done my own tanks mydelf, I noly up to now I only needwd someone to help set the tanks up and now im FEELING A GREATDEEAL OF PAIN WITH THE THOUGHT THAT IM TO FACE THIS WORLD AS IT IS NOW WITH LITTLTE TOO NO RECOVERY PROGREESS.

lIKE YOURSELF, MY LEFT ARM IS WEAKER AS WELL AND I TOO FEEL THAT IM ON borrowed time AS WELLL. I STILL WISH TOO LIVE AS GOOD A LIFE I CAN, BUT WHAT IF IT SHOULD HAPPPEN THAT IM NO LONNGER ABLE TO FEND DFOR MYSELF, IT WOULD KILL ME IM SUCH A HORRRIABLE WAY IN MY PERSONNAL FEELIING, OF MY PERSONAL PRIDE.

I NEVRE BEG FPR ANUTHING IN MY WHOLE LIFE, EVEN NOW IM HERE ON MY OWN, MY FAMILY CAN NOT HELP ME, AND THAAT BE JUUST FINE BY ME.

iM SOOORRY, I NEED TO NAP AGAIN I FEEL, WHY I GET TIRED MUCH FFASSTER WHEN TRYING TO READ OR TYP?

Buddy

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Sending good thoughts your way for patience, strength and a good recovery.Here's hoping that you see daily improvement to encourage you and give you strength.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.

Most of all be a SURVIVOR! Plant that thought in your head and hang on to it.

I AM A SURVIVOR - 07/17/2005 to present.
Thanks for this, and all of your other posts in past threads. Early last month my dad had a stroke. He's still in the hospital, but yesterday they took him off a respirator which was helping keep his breathing stable. I was able to talk to him for the first time today.

I know he has a long road ahead, but people like you are a great source of hope.

Thanks again.

OldManOfTheSea, I wish you the very best. If fishkeeping proves to be too much for you, I hope you can find something else to keep you entertained.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Buddy, I've always enjoyed reading your posts/threads. You've gained quite a bit of knowledge over the years. Take care of yourself and when you feel up to it, please stop by the forums from time to time to offer any advice to those who may need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store