Had to euthanize Pacu's over the weekend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
dont cry over spillt milk! ...or dead fish...

and if you cant do that- then look at the bright side- you have an excuse to buy a brand new HD tv (or whatever) and you now have an empty aquarium to stock!

dumber

Registered Loser
Nov 9, 2004
Midlands U.K
AquaGhost said:
jagarundi, why don't you try the Silver Dollars, sort of a miniature version of the pacus that won't get any bigger than 5 or 6 inches in diameter. I have a couple of them and like them a lo. Just one problem though: they mowed all my live plants to the root!

Hi Debra: Yours fish is 25 year old? Wow...I did not realize a fish can live that long...How big is it now? Coffee-table size? ;)
Just a note re silver dollars, there are several species and some can easily hit 8" - 10". I have a red hook (myleus rubripinnis) and 3 regular dollars (metynnis argenteus). The red hook is bigger than the other 3 even tho he's only a few months old. Don't want to sound patronising but as already stated, research the species first to prevent a repeat of the above. ;)

jagarundi, sincerely gutted to hear your story and well done for sharing it.

Here's a pic of a 10" redhook taken at a show recently

M.Rubripinnis.JPG

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
How sad, I'm so sorry.
The store where I work just took in a pacu somewhere around 14" or so (hard to tell, he hides), and he's now a resident of the koi pond. When I saw him, I was thinking they'd made a great decision not to sell baby pacu, and then last Sunday I noticed a baby red tailed shark in one of the tanks! IMHO, stores just shouldn't be selling these fish without HUGE warning labels.

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
1) Move to somewhere which required LFS' to take in your fish. Here in Hawaii, LFS' / LPS' are all required to take in unwanted fish, no matter what they are or how big they become. This prevents people from dumping them into local water ways.

2) Get your state legislature to pass laws like above.

Sorry to hear you had to take such an extreme measure for a solution.
No one should be forced to do things like that!

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
I'm sorry for your loss Jag.That is some sound advice in your post.I'm also glad your T.V.came back to life for you.

deezdrama

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Sorry to hear.... I too a few months ago bought one red belly pacu, hes in a 20 gallon tank and about 5 inches long. I too thought he would only get 8 inches and my buddy came by and said that pacus get huge...i didnt believe him so he took me to a lfs and showed me a 20 inch pacu in a 260 gallon tank,i about bleeped my pants. I dont think wal-mart should be alowed to sell these to the public and lie about there sizes. I thought about releasing mine in a pond but he would probablly die in the fall/winter. Ive done hours and hours of research and plan to keep him.I cannot afford a glass tank so i plan this weekend to build a plywood/epoxy/glass tank around 240 gallons. I dont have money for fancy filters so im going to use a small pool filter with a makeshift bio-ball overflow resevoir. Hopefully this will serve my pacu for several years. By then i can plan on a indoor pond or something. Very sad post,i hope i can give mine his new tank soon.Ill let you know how it goes.

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
i dont think forcing lfs to take fish is the way to go. then what will the lfs do? most are struggling anyway and they dont all have to facilities for such large fish. my lfs only sells juvies and babies. their largest tank is about 200 gals.
they have taken in some tankbusters though. they did have a 12" golden algae eater at one time. but they found a home for it....yes those little tiny golden algae eaters that you see at almost EVERY lfs can grow to be a foot long. i was shocked when i saw him.
i've seen people walk in asking if they'll take in a pleco, pacus, or bala that had outgrown it's home. and they almost always say no and they tell them how to euthanize it. and not to dump it in the waterways.

and what happens when the fish store closes? one closed in my town and i knew a guy who worked there, he said all the fish that they couldnt sell they just euthanized.

i think the best idea is to not allow stores to sell these tankbusters in the first place. most people buy fish because they're pretty or cool looking. and most stores like wal-mart dont tell you how big they get or even what they are. our wal-marts here just have a mixture of fish. the tanks are all mislabeled. they have tags that say "guppies" over a tank of danios. and they ALWAYS have pacus! my friend who didnt know any better, wanted a pirahna looking fish..so he got a pair of pacus. i saw them and told him to "take them back!" he said "why?" and i showed him how big they get and he did take them back and complained to the manager. he asked them about the fish and they said they wouldnt get much bigger....at only 3 inches. and he didnt want a huge fish, he just wanted something to put in a 55 gal.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Yes pacu do indeed get huge, I wanna say this is the current pacu record it was something like high 60's or low 70's lbs!! They should just post a picture of this in all LFS's selling pacu.

Reason

AC Members
Apr 21, 2005
A LPS near myself display some full grown (yes, FULL grown. Most are about 16" but some look over 20) pacu's in the only way they can really be happily kept. In the middle of the isle, seperating their fresh and salt water tanks is a GIANT Rubbermaid-type tub raised on many cinderblocks. I can't even guess how many gallons it holds..... maybe.... 700? Filtered by some sort of system at one end, it's covered so I can't see it. Anyway, the pacu's have just enough room to turn around widthwise, but they can swim lengthwise to their heart's content. For a buck you can buy a bunch of feeder goldfish and drop them in.

In my life, this is the ONLY situation where I've seen large pacu's and not felt sorry for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store