Had to euthanize Pacu's over the weekend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Not to mention illegal and very irresponsible.

ganjero

Crazy about Snails
Jul 9, 2005
f8ldzz said:
That's about the most ignorant statement I've ever heard in regards to what to do with unwanted fish...
So you call your self a "fish lover" and you rather kill a fish than release it?
Man, I dont care if is illegal or whatever, but I would never kill my fish. I fit came from the nature let it go back to nature, that's all that I'm saying.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
ganjero said:
So you call your self a "fish lover" and you rather kill a fish than release it?
Man, I dont care if is illegal or whatever, but I would never kill my fish. I fit came from the nature let it go back to nature, that's all that I'm saying.
You imply that you yourself care about fish, but your ignorance regarding the welfare of aquatic life is sickening.

It's not wrong because it's illegal, it's illegal b/c it's wrong.

Releasing non-natives or even some captive-raised natives into an ecosystem is often detrimental to the inhabitants of that system (plenty of them being fish). Furthermore, the "setting free" of your own tropical fish into temperate waters will result in an unpleasant death of the animal that you so witlessly released in the first place.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
ganjero said:
How are you a "fish lover" if you are breaking the law? Have you ever thought about what could happen if you let it go into a lake or something? It could die a very slow painful death of it gets stuck into a water intake, or a sewage outlet. A quick painless death is better then that. IF the fish makes it threw all of that, it may, and I say MAY reproduce. This can create weird fish, or a outbreak of the same one. This could cause problems with a lot of systems.

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
ganjero said:
If you had seen previous posts of mine, or have no idea what the laws in the state of Hawaii are regarding aquarium fish, you would understand my position.

The state of Hawaii law PROHIBITS releasing of any non-native species into streams, rivers, forests, ad nauseum...

The state of Hawaii law REQUIRES all fish / pet stores to accept unwanted aquarium fish - no questions asked.

So, you see, your point is moot.
Dude to state laws, it makes it illegal and also shifts responsibility of unwanted aquarium fish away from the fish enthusiasts.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument about fish owners regard to responsibility - that would fill up an entire thread in itself - but, I do have an out of it comes to fish that I can't or don't want to keep.

The state of Hawaii has the HIGHEST number of endangered species of all the U.S. states.
There has already been heavy proliferation of non-native / alien fish species into native streams / rivers habitats.
Of serious note are the armorhead catfish which dig holes on riverbanks when they spawn - this causes erosion and silt introduction to waterways.
I know of a HUGE colony of Kenyii cichlids that inhabit one of the main rivers on the island of Oahu.

Sorry about not making my stance clear...

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
ganjero said:
I just would have put him in a lake or river, but killing it?. ANd thenyou had the nerves of posting what you did? :mad2:
I did what needed to be done. YOU have the nerve to post that you would BREAK THE LAW and put fish that ARE NOT NATIVE to these waters in a lake?

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
How sad.. Makes me feel less dorky that I've been spending weeks trying to find fish that get along, stay around 4 incehs in length and asking every pet store around AND every friend that has tanks about all this stuff. Then I've been spending many hours scouring the net for more info. (that's how I happened upon this forum) I do see a lot of conflicting info but I see a lot that is the same too.. You see.. I worry about fish getting along and being happy too..

In the end.. its a lesson well learned to fully do your homework I suppose.

Last edited:

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
Plus think about what might happen just by introducing the fish into an alien habitat...Assuming you did "save" them by puting them in a lake or river system, what if they survived, reproduced, and ran out all other aquatic life in the area? This has happened many places all over the US, and all over the world, and you wouldn't want this to be another example of alien species introduction.

Sam G

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Large Pets

Hello,
Sorry about your tragic loss. If I would have know, I would have had you ship them to me. Another very fast as well as fast growing fish is the Giant gourami. I was moving 3 years ago. I had a Diabetic attack and could not supervise the packing of my 2 1/2 foot giant gourami. Her name was Bertha. The guys that loaded her put a tarp over the tank so she would not jump out - needless to say, she suffocated. We had her in a tank by our dining room. We use to clean our plates of into her tank. She would eat anything! I tried her out on some jalepenos - she loved them! She would also come up out of the tank and receive a whole banana into her mouth. She would just gently hover half way out until I placed it into her open mouth. Great pet - highly recommended. I have a new one that I am training now. Again sorry about your loss. Sam G

Rick Romance

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
sorry for your loss. i probably would have done some mission impossible stuff and left them on the steps of local town Aquarium or the pet shop. you know sedate the fish and then drop them off

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store