Hair Algae AGAIN??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I think it's the amount of light also.. and unless I want to get rid of my current light which cost me too much to do so, I'm going to have to find other methods :(

I have an SAE in my tank but it doesn't seem to even make a dent in the hair algae. I was looking into the shrimp solution, and if you're interested also, here's some helpful information when thinking between RCS/Amano shrimp

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Yeah, I think it's the amount of light also.. and unless I want to get rid of my current light which cost me too much to do so, I'm going to have to find other methods :(

I have an SAE in my tank but it doesn't seem to even make a dent in the hair algae. I was looking into the shrimp solution, and if you're interested also, here's some helpful information when thinking between RCS/Amano shrimp
I think it goes back to what others have been saying all long from the beginning - I don't think living creatures can get rid of all hair algae caused by too much light. I am looking into RCS/Amano route too but only after convincing myself that I am not going to be overrun by hair algae again.

You do have one more possibility though - injected CO2 when it gets to you eventually... :D

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Oh and my friend has both Rosy Barb and Florida Flag Fish. I may "borrow" them and see if they eat these hair algae.

SAEs I borrowed from them before did eat short hair algae strings and the nasty brown bush algae when they were lightly fed.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Oh and my friend has both Rosy Barb and Florida Flag Fish. I may "borrow" them and see if they eat these hair algae.

SAEs I borrowed from them before did eat short hair algae strings and the nasty brown bush algae when they were lightly fed.
My SAE eats the short ones as well, but does not touch the long ones.. also, I found out that I'm not going to be getting the pressurized CO2 I ordered.. they decided to tell me 2 weeks after ordering that they were sold out :(.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
My SAE eats the short ones as well, but does not touch the long ones.. also, I found out that I'm not going to be getting the pressurized CO2 I ordered.. they decided to tell me 2 weeks after ordering that they were sold out :(.
Ouch, without CO2, your light is going to be too much.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Ouch, without CO2, your light is going to be too much.
Yeah, it kinda sucks, now I'm going to have to search for another place where I can find a good price for a pressurized CO2 system.. If anyone knows of one, please post a link! :)

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Yeah, it kinda sucks, now I'm going to have to search for another place where I can find a good price for a pressurized CO2 system.. If anyone knows of one, please post a link! :)
Good luck. :)

I just finished setting up a separate 10g tank for shrimps and snails only - for breeding/raising purposes. Its driven by a sponge filter and I just added 4 amano shrimps and some java moss from that tank that is infested with hair algae. After about 1 hour, they started to cling on the java moss and started to eat something - not sure what yet. I hope they eat those hair algae. My plan is to rotate some plants from the infested tank into this tank. Not the best way to get rid of algae but at least I am going to find out how good they eat hair algae. :D

I'm also looking for some nerites and debating on which other compatible shrimps. I found both Cherry and Snowball but if you keep both, they will hybridize. :(

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Hey Pudge, I added 3 Rosy Barbs borrowed from my friend. They DO eat hair algaes, especially the long ones. I saw one of them that eats it like we eat spaghetti - starts at one end and keeps pulling it out until it snaps. I saw the other one pull strings stuck on Java Fern leaves.

I'm gonna monitor them for few days to see if they continue but so far it looks pretty good.

Amano shrimps definitely eat something inside Java Moss. I have tonnes of their poop and their body has one dark continuous like starting at the head and ends outside of their body... :D

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hey Pudge, I added 3 Rosy Barbs borrowed from my friend. They DO eat hair algaes, especially the long ones. I saw one of them that eats it like we eat spaghetti - starts at one end and keeps pulling it out until it snaps. I saw the other one pull strings stuck on Java Fern leaves.

I'm gonna monitor them for few days to see if they continue but so far it looks pretty good.

Amano shrimps definitely eat something inside Java Moss. I have tonnes of their poop and their body has one dark continuous like starting at the head and ends outside of their body... :D
That is definitely good news, I'll have to get my 10g set up as a separate species tank if that works, so I don't overstock, and can get rid of my hair algae! :)!! Thank you for letting me know, please keep me updated with the progress!!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Looks like after 1 day, most of hair algae in my Java moss (when spread, about 7 inches wide).

I also put a small Java Fern with hair algae and BBA about 1 hour ago. They started to eat even BBA! I'm gonna find out in few hours how they progress. :)

I guess I can cycle between plants with algae and real food eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store