Hair algae... Ewww!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nylouie516

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
I see you dont want to add fish but maybe a beneficial algae fish might help you out more than hinder. I had a HUGE issue with hair algae and beard algae in my 125 so I bought 2 siamese algae eaters and they OBLITERATED it within a week. I recommend them for your algae problem if you can and choose to get them.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
I want it to be a SA only tank, And it seems like Asian fish are the only things that eat this stuff >_<

And no, I'm not dosing any potassium.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
I noticed my farlowella nibbling on the stuff attached to my sag this evening. He's not not laying waste to it or anything, but maybe he can help keep it in check a little bit. I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
OK, looks like he only wants the new growth, not the older stuff.

I guess I need to get something to eat it, since lowering my photoperiod seems to have no effect (if anything it's just getting thicker) and I really don't want to uproot my entire tank and bleach all the plants. Is there any reasonably sized (<6") SA fish, that won't be eaten by my angels that enjoys this stuff?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
usually when you make a change in lighting or anything it can take up to three weeks before you can see any improvement in the algae.
or longer for the tank to adjust in general at times...

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
usually when you make a change in lighting or anything it can take up to three weeks before you can see any improvement in the algae.
Ah OK, I feel a bit silly now, I'm used to the algae you can kill with a couple days of blackout I guess. I'll keep an eye on it over the next month or so then and see how things progress =)

At least I didn't buy any new fish though lol

tertas2

AC Members
Oct 28, 2010
I also had a hair algea problem, but it was weird how it disapeared one day. All I did was trimming the filter hose on my Fluval canister, since they were too long therefore increasing the inflow and outflow I also began dosing Flourish Excel. I don't know if it was the Flourish Excel or the increase in flow. The hair algea was gone whithin 12 hours though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store