Hair Algae....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stidham

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
I've got snails and crabs in there, but they don't seem to be able to keep up. Maybe I'll get some more.

It seems to improve if I don't have the lights on.

Thanks.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
get a FW black or dalmation molly. drip acclimate for 2-3 hrs.

in a 10gal, 1 molly will strip the hair algae in less than a week.

then you can address what is causing the algae to thrive, phos, NO3, too much poo... etc

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The main thing with hair algae is that it can have a few causes..To name a few, they are excessive nutrients via over feeding, high nutrient levels in your new water or lighting.

A few questions for you to start with...

1. How long have the bulbs been in place and what type of lighting is it?
  2. Whar are your current water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and phosphate?
  3. What foods, how much and how often is your feeding regime?
  4. Do you use RO water and what are the nitrate and phosphate levels of this water?
The best thing to start with is to remove it manually by oulling it out of the tank by hand. What you need to be carefull of when doing this is that you keep all of the clump in your hand and not let it float away in the tank, as all you will be doing is spreading the issue..A good idea is to have a good bowl of water next to you to put the clump in and to keep your fingers clean for when you go back in the tank for the next clump. Get as much out as you possibly can in each session. Do this daily to get it down to a manageable ammount that your clean up crew can effectivly handle and start to control while your getting to the root cause of "why" the algae out break has occured.

Hopefully, by providing the answers to the above questions, we can help to pin point what is actually causing the issue and deal with it. It will take a good while to over come this, depending on the level of algae growth. This pruning is something that you will have to keep on top of..

Hope this helps a little

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store