Hanging outsdie filters as interior filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
I used the motor from a hob as a power head and it was submerged for 2 or 3 years and it still runs the same today. the box said not to (liability reasons I'm sure) but i did it anyway because the motor was potted and there for completely sealed. I say its perfectly fine but make sure to check if its sealed. if you think that's stupid that's fine, but it worked for me. you can check my paludarium log for pictures
I am glad someone has long-term use experience and verified that it works. My experiment with the submerged HOB is still running strong after a month; in fact, it's a lot quieter than hanging outside. If you examine the HOB motors, they look identical with powerhead motors, so I am sure they came out of the same factory, just packaged for different use. HOT filters which use the same motors are very popular in Asian countries where space is a preimium. HOT motors get moist and splashed all day long and they sure have safety issue.

If you are concerned with electrocuting, you ought to be concerned about adjusting your submerged heaters or power heads underwater. Once my Flowerhorn cichlid cracked my submerged heater for days before I discovered that the water had gone cold.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
If you are concerned with electrocuting, you ought to be concerned about adjusting your submerged heaters or power heads underwater. Once my Flowerhorn cichlid cracked my submerged heater for days before I discovered that the water had gone cold.
You cant compare motors designed to be run under water and those not designed to do so..

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
You cant compare motors designed to be run under water and those not designed to do so..
You are simply making the assumption. If the motors were not designed for underwater use, how is it possible that I could run it underwater for a month and the other poster could run it for 3 years. The fact that he could fit a powerhead impeller onto an HOB motor is a proof that the motors are interchangeable.

You can't always go by what the manufacturers say, becasue many of the same product are repackaged for different uses.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
The fact that he could fit a powerhead impeller onto an HOB motor is a proof that the motors are interchangeable.
A cars engine is not designed to run on Alcohol, but if you run out of gas, you can infact pour a 5th of everclear or 151 in the gas tank and it will run. It will destroy your rings, etc, but it will run. By your logic, this means that a cars engine was designed to run on such fluids They are not.

GOJIRADOR

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
A cars engine is not designed to run on Alcohol, but if you run out of gas, you can infact pour a 5th of everclear or 151 in the gas tank and it will run. It will destroy your rings, etc, but it will run. By your logic, this means that a cars engine was designed to run on such fluids They are not.
I don't think re-purposing a motor is comparable to using a different fuel. If your analogy were to make sense it would say that a cars engine can be put on a golf cart, which it could, that's what re-purposing is all about. If you don't think its safe or wise thats fine by me, but I have already proven that at least one motor from a hob filter is sufficiently sealed to work under water. just have a look for your self; I too believe some are designed to be sold in power heads

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
I am not sure what brand you tried out that works. I tried out my old Whisper and Penquen HOBs, and they both work like a charm underwater. So it is more than one brand that works. I believe the motor design is generic for HOBs, HOTs, powerhead and real internal filters. Even if it should short out inside due to a leak, the plastic motor casing will provide protection.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I am not sure what brand you tried out that works. I tried out my old Whisper and Penquen HOBs, and they both work like a charm underwater. So it is more than one brand that works. I believe the motor design is generic for HOBs, HOTs, powerhead and real internal filters. Even if it should short out inside due to a leak, the plastic motor casing will provide protection.
You can't be serious. Quite obvious the extent of your knowledge of electricity. Why does an Einstein quote come to mind pertaining to this thread? And I am not referring to the one in my signature.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I have to agree, this thread is really misleading.

In no way is it safe to submerge electric devices that are not specifically designed for submersion.

Just because you or anyone else has had no shock does not make it safe, nor should it be endorsed here on Aquaria Central. There are motors designed for this, and motors that are not. You should ALWAYS go by what the manufacturer lists on the packaging, even if you think the motor looks sealed.

Submerging a non-submergable pump can kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store